DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would have thought that you could get good mileage with the programmer set on Crazy Larry. For the last year I hardly ever used the Crazy Larry mode. Then a friend at work, was telling me how he had written a 300 hp program for his D-max using EFI-live. He said he was getting 20 mpg +. That got me thinking, so after work I set the truck on Crazy Larry and just started driving like my Grandmother. I'm amazed, by keeping the rpm's low and cruising whenever possible. My truck has been getting 21 mpg according to the overhead display. Of course I have a 6 speed so I have the ability to drive with the engine at 1200 rpms unlike the guys who have auto's. I have never slipped the clutch with my Bullydog programer, even when I'm at full throttle, So I really don't see any down side to driving like this other than when i accidentally grab too high of a gear and drown the guy behind me with black smoke. Oh, well. The fool shouldn't be tailgating me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,842 Posts
dont believe the overhead when your on the crazy larry setting, one time i got my over head to read 27mpg, crazy larry increases rail pressure throws the reading off by a lot
 

·
16oz. to freedom!
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
overhead is way off even on stock trucks. i would calculate the mileage by hand.
 

·
Dodgezilla
Joined
·
5,719 Posts
With my Predator on the "Extreme Road Kill Larry" setting, it tells me that I am getting better mileage the harder I drive the truck. Of course when I hand calculate it the true mileage is about 6 mpg less than the overhead....
It's been said over and over in all the forums. Once you BOMB the truck the overhead is useless except for tricking your friends into thinking you are getting such great mileage...
 

·
Big Riggin'
Joined
·
549 Posts
I hand calc 23mpg average at 90% highway.

A 3hour highway trip the other day doing 70-75mph, I netted 25mpg hand calc'd. :rck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
UnrulyNFS said:
I hand calc 23mpg average at 90% highway.

A 3hour highway trip the other day doing 70-75mph, I netted 25mpg hand calc'd. :rck:
WTH! I can't get over 18 :( I took a 240 mile trip 2 weeks ago, 90 mph got maybe 15-16 mpg. On a tank, I am very lucky to get 480 miles, it's usually less no matter what, and I fill it very full.
 

·
16oz. to freedom!
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
maybe going 90MPH is the problem!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
wreedCTD said:
maybe going 90MPH is the problem!?
Maybe...But it's so much faster! But most of my tanks are just in the city/freeway which is about 65mph max, and I can't get more then about 17 mpg.
 

·
Big Riggin'
Joined
·
549 Posts
Put some bigger tires on to drop your RPM's. When I run my 35's to work and back, I get about 4 less mpg's. It's more of a difference for me with my early '06 6spd G56. On 35's at 70mph, its 2300 RPM and drinks the fuel. If I can keep the RPM under 2000, its much better.


I've got a new one from my trip to Raleigh the other day that says 26.2 that I hand calc'd to 25 and some change.
[/IMG]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
UnrulyNFS said:
Put some bigger tires on to drop your RPM's. When I run my 35's to work and back, I get about 4 less mpg's. It's more of a difference for me with my early '06 6spd G56. On 35's at 70mph, its 2300 RPM and drinks the fuel. If I can keep the RPM under 2000, its much better.


I've got a new one from my trip to Raleigh the other day that says 26.2 that I hand calc'd to 25 and some change.
[/IMG]
I have ordered 37" tires and a lift, hopefully will be on in 2 weeks :rck: I don't expect it to increase mileage much though if any. At 90 mph, i'm running about 2,900 rpm, so I know it's going to be hard on fuel. But to stay under 2,000 I would have to stay at like 60 mph, who drives that slow? :D
 

·
Big Riggin'
Joined
·
549 Posts
mocho said:
I have ordered 37" tires and a lift, hopefully will be on in 2 weeks :rck: I don't expect it to increase mileage much though if any. At 90 mph, i'm running about 2,900 rpm, so I know it's going to be hard on fuel. But to stay under 2,000 I would have to stay at like 60 mph, who drives that slow? :D
Heck yeah!! Lets see some pics when you get those babies on there. :rck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
question.... if you put 35's or bigger on your truck.... and then use something like a Smarty to correct your speedometer..... wont that in essence also get your odometer running correctly. And with those two running properly.... the overhead console should work again as well. The systems have to be linked together for the overhead to even work.... unless its an entirely different, secondary system.

Am I correct in my thinking here for terribly missing a detail?
 

·
Diesel User
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
My best ever was 24.9mpg (hand calculated) with the SMARTY set to level 3. Running 65mph for the distance.

MikeyB
 

·
Dodgezilla
Joined
·
5,719 Posts
The Smarty being on any of the non-stock settings will skew the overhead because all these programmers and fuel modules do is fool your computer into thinking you are stock when in fact you are getting much more fuel than stock. Yes the speedo should be right but fuel consumption will not be..


BTW, I got 23 mpg once on a 75 mile trip where I stayed at 60 mph or less the whole entire way (all highway). It was awful driving that slow but it was nice when I filled up afterwards....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
MikeyB said:
My best ever was 24.9mpg (hand calculated) with the SMARTY set to level 3. Running 65mph for the distance.

MikeyB
Best ever was 27.4 mpg (hand calculated) and netted over 765 miles on a tank :rck: . When I pulled in to fill up, I still had 1/8 left to go. That was driving on backroads never going over 50 mph and driving efficiently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Using the "Crazy Bloo" Setting I managed 17.75mpg (hand-calc) on an 850 mile drive from Kellog ID to Chico Calif. in our 08 Mega-Cab (6.7ltr 6-spd auto.)
 

·
Big Riggin'
Joined
·
549 Posts
LuckyScrewz said:
Using the "Crazy Bloo" Setting I managed 17.75mpg (hand-calc) on an 850 mile drive from Kellog ID to Chico Calif. in our 08 Mega-Cab (6.7ltr 6-spd auto.)

Dang, that's good for that big a truck going over the mountains with an automatic and the bigger 6.7L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I just did a road trip from Albuquerque, NM to Macon, GA and back... The best mileage I managed to squeeze out was 20.4 on the computer (19.8 hand calc). 70 was my truck's 'Happy Speed' where I was able to get the mpg to steady out at a speed I could live with.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top