DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to move up to 20" rims on my 2003 2500 w/ diesel. Wheels seem to be no problem, but what are my tire options w/o having to lift and keeping the load rating the same. All terrain tires would be nice.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I have 20's on my 2005 2500 CTD and run 35/12.5/20 Toyo M/T Open Country tires. I think they are one of the best (if not THE best) all around tires out there. Aggressive tread design, excellent traction in mud and snow, very quiet, great on pavement AND load range of E.
I do have a 3" lift on mine, and it would be close if you chose to not lift it. I've seen alot of guys running 315's without a lift and having success. Hopefully some of them will chime in.
If you want to see mine, check out my gallery.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
305 55 20 Nitto Terra Grapplers

if I'm not mistaken they're load range E, and big enough not to look totally goofy on a 2500 diesel

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Chauncy said:
305 55 20 Nitto Terra Grapplers

if I'm not mistaken they're load range E, and big enough not to look totally goofy on a 2500 diesel
Yup

Attachments

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Hey,
I have 20's on my 04 1500 Hemi Ram quad 4x4, I have looked into BF Goodrich All Terrain K/O tires and they are like $308 a tire and does not include mounting and balancing,
Hemi_Freak Can I ask how much those are a tire? Nice aggressive tread design.
I have the Front Leveling kit so I think I can go with 32" or possibly 33" tires and have no clearance issues but would have to make sure of the tires size. You would almost think since the 20"s have been out for a few years the price of the tires would not be as expensive as they still are today.

Dam Val whats up with that. Flirting with him about his tires?? LOL

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I bought them as a package with the wheels and lift and other mods from the dealer already on the truck.
I think the tires are between $300 - $400 each (I know that is a big range, but I don't know exactly how much they are).
I believe that tires are a very crucial area, and you don't want to shop tires by just price IMO. It is worth the extra dough by getting tires that perform well and wear well. My 2 cents anyway.

·
6,355 Posts
Hemi Freak said:
I bought them as a package with the wheels and lift and other mods from the dealer already on the truck.
I think the tires are between $300 - $400 each (I know that is a big range, but I don't know exactly how much they are).
I believe that tires are a very crucial area, and you don't want to shop tires by just price IMO. It is worth the extra dough by getting tires that perform well and wear well. My 2 cents anyway.
I agree with you there. Not so much that I was shopping by price just seems kinda pricey for me at the moment cause had to shell out $750 Co-Pay for my sinus surgery that I had wednesday. I have to say so far it is well worth the money to be able to breath better thru my nose, The real test will be in two months when I try to go scuba diving and see if the surgery made some real results. Thank you for your 2 Cents, am always willing to listen to other members points and you have a very valid point about tires being crucial.
Matt:gr_patrio

·
5,089 Posts
yes, Sherdep, definitely save up the extra casah and invest in Nitto Terra Grappler or Toyo mt's

you get what you pay for :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so whats going to fit w/o a lift? Whats the deal with the wheel off set? I would like to save some money by mail order and cant afford to get it wrong. If I need a small lift where do I start? I like the "street rod" look of the stock 1500's with 20's. Matt Good luck with the sinus surgery I had four and they say the first butcher nearly killed me.
Thanks again for your help.

·
6,355 Posts
Blkhrt508 said:
Okay so whats going to fit w/o a lift? Whats the deal with the wheel off set? I would like to save some money by mail order and cant afford to get it wrong. If I need a small lift where do I start? I like the "street rod" look of the stock 1500's with 20's. Matt Good luck with the sinus surgery I had four and they say the first butcher nearly killed me.
Thanks again for your help.
Thanks on the Sinus Surgery, Already had it done Wednesday... am now dealing with the pain and blood, Has had worse when I blew my sinus's out from scuba diving so this is a walk in the park and makes it easier with Hydrocodone LOL.

Ok back to the thread here, What size tires do you want to go with?
How much are you looking to spend?
I am presuming yours is 4x4 2500?
I know it is way cheaper to lift the 2500 and the 3500 because of the Solid Axle front end unlike the 1500 having Independant front suspension or "IFS" for short.
Do you have to go with 20" tires because I know in the 17" there are alot more tire options to go with for aggresive off raod tires, I have a feeling you are in the same boat as I am and love the look and control the 20" inch tires and rims give the truck in overall handling. I drove two trucks .. one with 17" Off Road Package 4.7L Quad 4x4 and one with 20" Hemi Quad 4x4 and as you can see I got the Hemi Quad 4x4. It was like night and day comparison on how the two trucks handled with the diffrent tires.

Hemi_Freak said this - 315's without a lift and having success

Chauncy - are these with or without a lift? 305 55 20 Nitto Terra Grapplers

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
305/55R20s are without a lift... had them on my 03 2500 with nothing, then on my 04 2500 with nothing and then I put a leveling kit on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, its 4x4 short bed. 20's are a must. I looked at Discount wheel warehouse and it looks like a package will run just north of two grand. Help me understand offset. Whats the best range? Keeping in mind I may do a small lift later. Any recommendations on wheel brand?

·
5,089 Posts
on a 20x9-20x10 look for an offset as close to 0 as possible

if it's a positive offset they'll work beautifully

and 305 55 20's are stock

·
Registered
58 Posts
The recommened offset on a 10 inch wide wheel is +35 to +45. I have searched long and hard for wheels with a postive offset, you have about two choices discount tire offfers a new MB motoring Gunner 8 the wheel is a available in a 17, 18, and 20 width is 8 inchs the 20 X 8 has a + 25 degree offset. I have a set of 20 x 8. I did try a set of Panther juice wheels they have a +10 degree offset and they hung out about 3/4 of inch past my Bushwacker fender flares. The other wheel available is weld they offer two different types one with a +45 and one with a +25 but they are pricey about 600.00 a wheel. Here is a link. Look at my gallery to see the wheels. Tires are 305 55 20 Nitto Grapplers. No lift and no rubbing. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.