DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
It looks like 442 is a small leak in the emissions control system, and 455 is a large leak. I would imagine that they were both caused by the same leak that got larger over time. Try a new gas cap. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you have two choices. You can either go through the system yourself trying to find leaks, or have a mechanic check it. Most good shops have a smoke machine, and can find the leaks pretty quickly.

· Registered
364 Posts
Awesome. I had a code when I first got my van, and took it to the local mechanic. He couldn't seem to figure out where the problem was, but told me that the code was for the leak detection pump. He reset the computer a couple of times, and after the third time, the check engine light stayed off long enough for it to pass inspection. Shortly afterward, the light came back on, but I didn't worry about it. Fast forward 10 months, and my inspection was coming up again, so I decided to have a look. It took me about 30 seconds under the van to spot a vacuum hose hanging down just inboard of the drivers side front wheel. A closer look revealed a bolt shoved into the end of it. Just above it was a plastic module, which obviously had a vacuum fitting broken off. I figured that was likely the leak detection pump, and was right. A quick trip to the local Dodge dealer, and $130 had me a new pump, and the check engine light off. I'm not quite sure why the mechanic couldn't figure that out, it wasn't terribly difficult, and I'm sure he knew what the leak detection pump was in the first place which should have made it easier for him.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is a great forum, allso was able to fix my surging problem on my 98 1500, 4 bucks and 2.5 hrs, spent 1.5 hrs and $1.50 on wifes van really appreciate the help thanks again, Victor in chattanooga

· Registered
7 Posts
It has been awhile for this thread, but...I am not a mechanic...I replaced the gas cap and the cel came on and has stayed on.

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of what to look for and where regarding the evap canister and hoses? I really don't have the cash to pay a mechanic and I can have my husband (not a mechanic, either!) try to fix it.

TIA!
Joan

· Registered
364 Posts
If the light came on AFTER you replaced the gas cap, and especially if you used an auto parts store cap instead of a real Chrysler cap, I would bet on the new cap being the problem. Get the codes checked (most auto parts stores will do it for free), and report them back here.

· Registered
7 Posts
It's a 99 Caravan and the code is PO455. I replaced the gas cap with one from AutoZone. Now that I think about it the cel was on when I replaced the cap and I have been waiting for my 50 cycles for it to go out, but that hasn't happened.

Next on the list of things to check is EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected. I just don't know where to look to check these.

If those are good I will need to find out if the purge or vent solenoid is defective. If not it would likely be a vacuum leak at the engine. This is all according to the obdII report I received.

BTW, the van has 156k on the clock and I have owned it for 3 years.

Joan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.