DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit ; 3.6L with a 62TE
So my transmission recently went out and I purchased a new one from Dodge. I did all the work myself and and it went fairly easy to be honest. Only thing that bugged me the whole time was there wasn’t much room for my fingers to spin the torque converter once the transmission and engine were mated together but I did have a good clearance between torque converter and flex plate before I bolted together so I assumed all would be well. Fast forward everything is in, cooler flushed, I can drive the van and it shifts through its gears ( I still need to do quicklearn, just went around the block to verify shifting) and everything was great. Well today I started it up and I hear almost like a bad bearing groan which sounds like coming from trans but really hard to isolate the noise because it’s not extremely loud. But it’s noticeable. It does it in all gears and park and neutral. Did I miss something? Something I could have messed up I should check? Brand new trans with converter, was seated fully before install, didn’t mate engine and trans with bolts, did everything by the book for the most part. Idk if I just need to do the quicklearn and break it in a bit but I’m afraid to drive it and ruin a new trans. Any advice would be appreciated before I decide to drop trans again.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If there's any chance you can get the noise in a video clip and posted online, please do so.

You seem to be focused on the torque converter. It's a viable possibility, but try not to get tunnel visioned on it for now. Recheck all your work including rechecking all your nuts & bolts. I outsmarted myself once on a clutch job that went great except for a wierd jangly noise at idle and the 1-2 shift. I went home to sleep on it and woke up realizing I forgot to tighten a trans mount bolt. Double check your fluid level and make sure you're filling to the right level per the fluid temperature chart. You could pull the starter back out and look to see if the bendix has been grazing the flex plate. Albeit that's a shot in the dark wild ass guess. And since the noise is hard to localize, I might even go so far as to remove the serpentine belt and run it for a minute. If the noise goes away with the belt off, it's something the belt drives. It's not unheard of to have some other random part shit the bed while you're in there fixing something else.

That's all I can think of without seeing or hearing the van personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there's any chance you can get the noise in a video clip and posted online, please do so.

You seem to be focused on the torque converter. It's a viable possibility, but try not to get tunnel visioned on it for now. Recheck all your work including rechecking all your nuts & bolts. I outsmarted myself once on a clutch job that went great except for a wierd jangly noise at idle and the 1-2 shift. I went home to sleep on it and woke up realizing I forgot to tighten a trans mount bolt. Double check your fluid level and make sure you're filling to the right level per the fluid temperature chart. You could pull the starter back out and look to see if the bendix has been grazing the flex plate. Albeit that's a shot in the dark wild ass guess. And since the noise is hard to localize, I might even go so far as to remove the serpentine belt and run it for a minute. If the noise goes away with the belt off, it's something the belt drives. It's not unheard of to have some other random part shit the bed while you're in there fixing something else.

That's all I can think of without seeing or hearing the van personally.

Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t get any responses for a couple days here so I posted on a different forum. The fluid level was okay, a little high so I’m going to make sure it’s within level when I put the transmission back in. I took it back out. You’re right, I may have tunnel vision right now and that’s why I reached out asking for input. It sounds metal on metal and definitely sounds like it’s coming from between engine and transmission. I decided to replace the flex plate as a precautionary since when I pulled the trans and torque converter everything looked okay. While I have it out though I’m just going to the flex plate as well because my thinking was maybe I bent it a bit or something installing the trans. I’m unsure. Those are some video clips. When I reinstall I will be sure to not hit the flex plate and be as careful as possible and I’ll reupdate with my findings. I expect to know by Friday hopefully. Just waiting for flex plate bolts to come in from dodge.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The video is greatly appreciated. Your tunnel vision makes sense for it. All I can recommend is a good visual inspection once the tranmssion is back out again. A noise like that would leave me looking for metal shavings or scrape marks. The only other thing I can think of is that the torque converter should have been primed a little with fluid. You can't fill it completely, and they're a nuisance to fill at all. But they do need some fluid to protect the internals on a first start. Once the transmission is back out, you should also spin the torque converter by hand and make sure it turns smooth & freely. Then pull the torque converter out and look for damage where it splines up to the input shaft.

I am wondering a bit about the first install when mating the flex plate and torque converter. There should have been some clearance between the TC and the flex plate and you'd have had to use a torque converter bolt to pull the parts together. But that also should have been maybe a quarter inch of clearance at most. Even if you couldn't get an eye full of that, the torque converter should have never felt restricted or already bound to the flex plate when trying to line it up to install bolts.

If you get to a point where there's no obvious damage to the flex plate and torque converter, and you have no fear left about your own workmanship, I'd be inclined to believe you have a dud unit. Even if it's just the torque converter that's defective, I'd ship the entire transmission back for another new one. Especially if it's remanufactured. If something broke in that torque converter, its shrapnel could have already migrated to cause problems elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The video is greatly appreciated. Your tunnel vision makes sense for it. All I can recommend is a good visual inspection once the tranmssion is back out again. A noise like that would leave me looking for metal shavings or scrape marks. The only other thing I can think of is that the torque converter should have been primed a little with fluid. You can't fill it completely, and they're a nuisance to fill at all. But they do need some fluid to protect the internals on a first start. Once the transmission is back out, you should also spin the torque converter by hand and make sure it turns smooth & freely. Then pull the torque converter out and look for damage where it splines up to the input shaft.

I am wondering a bit about the first install when mating the flex plate and torque converter. There should have been some clearance between the TC and the flex plate and you'd have had to use a torque converter bolt to pull the parts together. But that also should have been maybe a quarter inch of clearance at most. Even if you couldn't get an eye full of that, the torque converter should have never felt restricted or already bound to the flex plate when trying to line it up to install bolts.

If you get to a point where there's no obvious damage to the flex plate and torque converter, and you have no fear left about your own workmanship, I'd be inclined to believe you have a dud unit. Even if it's just the torque converter that's defective, I'd ship the entire transmission back for another new one. Especially if it's remanufactured. If something broke in that torque converter, its shrapnel could have already migrated to cause problems elsewhere.
I did take the torque converter out of the trans when I uninstalled. Splines look good converter spins nicely when installed fully. No sign of improper installation or anything. Torque converter bolts are really small and there’s just no room for my fingers to push the torque converter back against the flex plate during install. It didn’t feel restricted, I just couldn’t physically turn it with no room. That bothered me but I did use a punch to spin the converter to line up the holes perfectly with the flex plate and it spun nicely that way. It didn’t feel hung up or anything. ( I did not actually hit the torque converter I simply used the bolt hole of the converter to turn it using the punch). If it would have not been seated properly my thinking was I would have blown the pump out as I started it up or drove it around the neighborhood. That’s why I resulted to just changing the flexplate. If that doesn’t work then I fear it will just have to go to Dodge since I do not want to drop the transmission a third time.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Glad to hear there was a solution. I hope the van behaves itself for a long time now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts