DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Grand Caravan with 29,000 miles on it. At starting especially after it sits for a couple of days it has a tapping or clacking like sound for just a second or two then goes away. The engine 3.6l runs quiet and strong besides the quick clacking sound as she starts up. I run full synthetic Valvoline with a Napa Gold oil filter.. Is this normal for this to happen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2018 Grand Caravan with 29,000 miles on it. At starting especially after it sits for a couple of days it has a tapping or clacking like sound for just a second or two then goes away. The engine 3.6l runs quiet and strong besides the quick clacking sound as she starts up. I run full synthetic Valvoline with a Napa Gold oil filter.. Is this normal for this to happen?
Given what you said, yes it’s normal.

Full Synthetic oil can get into every nook and cranny inside the engine. It’s great for performance engines, but bad for high mileage engines cuz this type of oil will leak outside the engine (if you had worn seals, worn gaskets, etc)

Since your Grand Caravan (GC) sits for 2 days, the oil will work its way back to the oil pan and sit there. Once you start your engine, the oil pump does it’s job and recirculates the oil all inside the engine.

With that said, yup it’s normal to hear a clacking for a second or two. As long as it goes away within a few seconds your fine.

Word of advice. If you’re expecting to let your GC sit for two days for several weeks/months/years (whatever), I would:

• Have someone start the engine once everyday (for a minute).
  • Change the oil to a synthetic blend or non synthetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts