DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 srt8. The cam was wiped out. I know what you're thinking whats new! I purchased a 2018 6.4l charger engine, and installed it. There are no trouble codes, and the engine turns over, however it won't start. The only noticeable difference i seen was the crank sensors. I'm thinking they're both hall sensors with 5v a ground, and a signal. I need help bad!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Unfortunately I believe you will find that the crankshaft tone ring will need to be swapped from your old engine to the 2018 engine. 2013 was a change over year for engine control systems so you will find the tooth pattern changed. Search up 2012 Hemi crankshaft tone ring vs. 2013 or 2014, 2015 etc. Also try reluctor ring or target wheel...there is a lot of info out there. Many people have hit this wall before assuming a Hemi is a Hemi is a Hemi. Sometimes you can confirm the engine will run just by unplugging the crank sensor. Some ECU's will allow the engine to start on just the camshaft sensor after a long extended starter crank cycle. If it starts it will confirm the tone ring is improper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wont start. I let it turn bout 20 seconds. I change the programming to monitor more teeth too. Damn it

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ultimately it will require the original crank sensor to run once the proper tone ring is installed. The newer 2013+ crank sensor won't work with the older controllers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Off hand i believe it was the same tooth count...it was just that the large blank tooth was changed from an off to an on or vice versa.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, unfortunately the older crank sensors won't fit the new block. It gets about halfway, and the hits something, as the newer sensors come to a point. You think I could get a ecu from an 2018 charger, and it work with the 2012 with some good programming done to it? I really don't want to have to pull the motor!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry, never received an e-mail feed update on this. Have any luck with a solution yet? I had a look at a 2019 6.4L today. Cranksensor hole was a consistent size with a smooth bore all the way in. So if the 2012 sensor wouldn't go all the way in was it bottoming on the 2018 tone ring? Possibly a slight diameter difference in the reluctor? The 2019 ring od measured 7.224" or 183.5mm. The small teeth were 0.130" or 3.3mm wide The reduced diameter missing tooth was approximately 2 teeth wide & oriented from about 24 thru 36 degrees BTDC of rod pin 7&8. Unfortunately I don't have a 09-12 ring to compare it to but I did find an Engine Builders Association document online that states the 2009 - 2012 teeth are 0.170" or 4.3mm wide.
Custom tuner might not be out of the question but sounds $$$.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No not yet I haven't looked at it. Sounds like I just need to find out the size of the reluctor wheel, and try to change it up in the programming hopefully. I'm still trying to find out if I could just get a 2018 ecu from a charger, and it work in the 2012 chrysler. I didnt see this coming at all! Well on the bright a bird shitted on me yesterday! Hopefully I will have some luck. Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diablotoona said there are only two options in programming to change for the reluctor wheel, and it didn't work when I uploaded the tune. I'm thinking ima be pulling a motor real soon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hemimech do you how to decode the numbers on the engine valve cover? I want to make sure the engine came out of a charger like the guy said so I don't buy wrong parts.

TNXE6120810471
PO5037400MD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or anyone know how to decode the casting numbers off the heads? Can't find any sites that decode gen 3

·
Registered
374 Posts
That is just the Engine sequence & part # label = TNXE6 is Satillo Engine, day 120 of 2018 471st engine that day.
To find out what vehicle the engine came out of look for the partial VIN that Brampton Asmy stamps on the engine during assembly. Dot matrix like VIN stamp should be on the LH / drivers side of the block just above the oil pan near the starter. Should look somthing like;
8*JH444444*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts