DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a 2016 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4 and did not get the factory brake control because I thought I could just install the aftermarket one that I already had. I am looking under the dash at the 4 prong harness that I thought was for the brake control. When I put a tester on it and check voltages it is not working the way my old truck did. My question is Can i put an aftermarket controller in this truck or will it not work with this system and do I have to have the factory setup?

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i like the factory set up intergrated into the truck read out in center of dash looks cleaner my 2015 not as senstive as my 13

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I just purchased a 2016 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4 and did not get the factory brake control because I thought I could just install the aftermarket one that I already had. I am looking under the dash at the 4 prong harness that I thought was for the brake control. When I put a tester on it and check voltages it is not working the way my old truck did. My question is Can i put an aftermarket controller in this truck or will it not work with this system and do I have to have the factory setup?
I myself have always been partial to Tekonsha, the Voyager has been a popular model for years, here is the one for your truck

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/br...ers/voyager-/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB54WVEaGlY|zH

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hit440. I saw where you can get one for my truck, but saw some conflicting articles on whether an aftermarket controller would work or not. I really dont want to pay for the factory controller and want something plug and play. I guess I should buy one of the aftermarket controllers and try it.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
I put a after market on my 2014 I don't see why it wouldn't work with a 2016. The harness might be different.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ram changed their ITB module for 2015. Some are having issues with their factory trailer brakes and issue is still not resolved. my 2014 1500 integrated factory module was great! my 2015 2500, a bit weak, definitely tell the difference towing the same trailer.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
x 2 on that my 12 and 13 were right on 15 weak

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm a little late on this, but I just got done installing an aftermarket trailer brake control on my '15. Ram changed the factory plugs for the 15/16 model years, but Tekonsha makes an wiring adaptor part # 3024-P. There are two plugs tucked back behind the center section of the dash, accessible just above the gas pedal behind the knee shield. The wiring adaptor plugs into one of these (it is the smaller of the two, I believe 6 prong...I honestly didn't look that close). The adaptor then plugs directly into the back of the trailer brake control unit (I had a Tekonsha Primus from a previous vehicle). Worked like a charm and total install time was about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a little late on this, but I just got done installing an aftermarket trailer brake control on my '15. Ram changed the factory plugs for the 15/16 model years, but Tekonsha makes an wiring adaptor part # 3024-P. There are two plugs tucked back behind the center section of the dash, accessible just above the gas pedal behind the knee shield. The wiring adaptor plugs into one of these (it is the smaller of the two, I believe 6 prong...I honestly didn't look that close). The adaptor then plugs directly into the back of the trailer brake control unit (I had a Tekonsha Primus from a previous vehicle). Worked like a charm and total install time was about 15 minutes.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ordered the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 with the wiring adapter the other day. It showed up and I installed in 15 minutes and it is working great. Hitched up the trailer and tried it out. I am very impressed with this unit. Just wanted to update my thread with some good results.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here is why I needed the trailer brake controller, to pick up this little trailer last night...39 foot HyLine Park Model with 3 slides. I also added airbags in the rear coils of the truck before I hooked on to it. I wouldn’t want to drag it across the country, but the truck pulled it fine. I did have to take it easy because it wanted to sway a little above 60 with a 25 mph crosswind.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice to know their is a valid aftermarket brake control option. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2016 RAM 1500 2WD CC to tow a 4300# TT. I was debating if having the factory controller was the way to go. I am partial to Prodigy as I had one in my '06 MegaCab that now sits in my Tacoma and has always worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.