DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2016 Grand Caravan 3.6L FF. The owners manual says it takes 6 quarts. I put in 6 quarts at the first change and it show over full. i put in 5 quarts at the next change and it is right at the top of the safe mark. I have verified it has the correct dipstick and the van was level each time.
What is going on?:help:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check your dipstick to see if the cap part is loose. It's a long shot, but I've seen where when some dipsticks get pushed down hard the metal rod is actually pushed farther down through the part that caps the tube, giving a false reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You did not specify that you changed your oil filter during your first oil change. If you did not, then 6 quarts is too much as the existing oil filter will remain ful and the oil stick will indicate overfull. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The top of the dipstick is solid plastic and the dipstick goes into it and is secured by a roll pin, everything looks fine.
I did not thing to mention that I changed the filter as I change it every time I change the oil.
Still at a loss. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the off chance that your engine has the wrong dipstick, maybe you can check the part number. I looked it up online and came up with Dipstick - Mopar (5184013AI). Again, just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's also possible that someone bashed the oil pan, and replaced it with the wrong one, or a cheap knock off that isn't built the same...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part number on dipstick matches.
I swapped dipsticks with my daughters van and got the same reading on each van with both dipsticks. Hers read higher, they put 6 quarts in hers. With six quarts it goes to the bottom of the bend in the stick (which is far above the top of the safe range), with five to goes to the top of the safe mark.
Manual states: "Maintain the oil level between the MIN and MAX markings on the dipstick. Adding one quart of oil when the reading is at
the MIN mark will result in a MAX reading on these engines.
CAUTION! Overfilling or underfilling will cause oil aeration, or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this little tidbit

The service manual recommends that you loosen or remove the oil filter cap before draining the oil to allow the old oil from the oil filter cavity to drain down to the sump. If you don't remove the oil filter cap before draining the old oil, all of the old oil will not be removed from the engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I removed the cap after I started draining the oil, while it had just started draining. There was no oil in the oil filter cavity when I removed the filter. I let the oil drain until it was at a drip. It looks like oil would run out if the cap was loosened or removed if there was oil in the cavity. At the least if there was oil in the cavity it would make a big mess when removing the filter.
I can try it next time I change oil but it will probably be close to a year from now unless we take a long unplanned trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not see how to start a new subject. I am trying to reinstall the insides of the passenger rear door after replacing the power lock solenoid. I cannot get it back in and I seem to have lost a piece off of the window track or guide where the top snaps into a slot. I cannot find the part to see if a new one has what I lost.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I do not see how to start a new subject. I am trying to reinstall the insides of the passenger rear door after replacing the power lock solenoid. I cannot get it back in and I seem to have lost a piece off of the window track or guide where the top snaps into a slot. I cannot find the part to see if a new one has what I lost.
In the light gray area above the thread you can select the category this thread is in (Mopar Vehicle Talk). Once there, you will see a button at the top left to start a new thread.

You need to specify year, make, model of what you're working on, before anyone can really help you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts