DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Grand Caravan with sealed transmission. I am approaching 103k miles. Service schedule says 120k miles. I will have it serviced this summer before a major trip we have planned in August. What is the service process for a sealed transmission? Is there a filter to replace? Is this a simple fluid exchange done by machine?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The normal service process is to remove the transmission pan and allow as much fluid as possible to drain, remove and replace the filter, reinstall the pan and refill with ATF+4 fuild to the proper level.

Also note that the transmission isn't really sealed, it just has a quarter turn plug in the transmission fill tube that is marked "For Dealer Use Only". The fill tube is also where the fluid level is checked using a special dipstick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This special dipstick, I'm sure one can be made. Do you know where to find specs and measurements?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
David, really well done. Although the oil dipstick adapting method is well known, you are the first to show how the dipstick registers to a bracket above the pan - and why the small relatively short differences between cold and hot markings are so important.
Also appreciated the concise explanation of how to get true cold and hot readings, as well as real - world operating temps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 2016 Grand Caravan with sealed transmission. I am approaching 103k miles. Service schedule says 120k miles. I will have it serviced this summer before a major trip we have planned in August. What is the service process for a sealed transmission? Is there a filter to replace? Is this a simple fluid exchange done by machine?
There is no such thing as a "sealed transmission". The transmission is exactly the same as one with a dipstick, except they leave out the dipstick. Transmission fluid levels will never change unless there's a leak, and most people never change it within the life of the warranty, which is all the OEM cares about. It's trivially easy to make your own dipstick or get one from an earlier vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts