Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 that when cold (air temperature) at first start in the morning: wipers come on, instrument cluster is not working, no directionals, garage opener buttons don't work, no backup camera (heat and radio do work).

It probably takes about 10-15 minutes driving (or idling) and wipers go off and instrument display comes back on, all is well.

If the truck sits in the morning till the air temperature warms up (or sitting in sun), it starts fine.

This only occurs on first start of the day, otherwise no issues.

Anyone seen this before?

Battery was original so I just replaced that figuring it was time, it still happened. I'm replacing the 30amp wiper/ground fuse next, to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
Tom--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I changed the wiper 30amp fuse and had a cold morning today and still the same issue.

I guess next comes just checking what connectors/wiring I can to look for anything strange.... or trip(s!) to the shop to figure it out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 that when cold (air temperature) at first start in the morning: wipers come on, instrument cluster is not working, no directionals, garage opener buttons don't work, no backup camera (heat and radio do work).

It probably takes about 10-15 minutes driving (or idling) and wipers go off and instrument display comes back on, all is well.

If the truck sits in the morning till the air temperature warms up (or sitting in sun), it starts fine.

This only occurs on first start of the day, otherwise no issues.

Anyone seen this before?

Battery was original so I just replaced that figuring it was time, it still happened. I'm replacing the 30amp wiper/ground fuse next, to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
Tom--
Well, I changed the wiper 30amp fuse and had a cold morning today and still the same issue.

I guess next comes just checking what connectors/wiring I can to look for anything strange.... or trip(s!) to the shop to figure it out.
tomram1500,

I'm sorry to hear about your concern. If the weather remains cold, it would be beneficial to demonstrate the symptom for the Service Dept., which would help the diagnostic process and isolate the root cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> "Service Dept., which would help the diagnostic process and isolate the root cause"

Yes, just wanted to diagnose as much as possible before then because they'll probably have 10 minutes or so to diagnose before it goes away (unless he works outside in the cold to figure it out). It'll probably be a multi-day thing..

·
Registered
152 Posts
not sure if this helps or not - but i recently change my heater core on my 11 - and i noticed...because i had the key on and off a few time to go in and out of neutral on the shifter during disassembly.

--on the passenger side, kick panel, there are some large electrical connectors to feed the dash to the rest of the truck.
----and---when i had these connectors UN-plugged, simply turning the key on would make the wipers start running - regardless of switch position - and one of these wires also feeds up the passenger b-pillar to the overhead console homelink garage door opener.

i wonder if this connector is loose or needs to be reseated on your truck?

there are some other large connectors driver side near e-brake assembly. maybe check these too.

might also be worth rolling under the truck and looking up from the bottom into the driver side upper wheel house area - you will be able to see another large connector and the TIPM connectors. i know mine get claubered with rain/dirt etc in the area and i've pulled them and cleaned them and greased them on mine before with a head light problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.