DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2011 Ram 1500 that was built in March 11 and supposedly has the Differential problem resolved in it (recall on diffs for 2011 made prior to Dec 18, 2010). If you read the owners manual on the disc you get it says that the rear diff fluid height should be 5/8” below the fill hole. This is absolutely wrong. So when I took out the fill plug I found the rear diff overfilled by over ½ qt. The rear diff cover does NOT have a rubber fill plug in it. This is Chryslers new fix for the earlier diffs failing. Overfill the new ones and send it out to the customer.

I called Chrysler factory and filed a complaint that I cannot check the fluid height properly because the diffs are over filled and there’s no way of checking them. They told me don’t worry about it you have a 5yr/100k warranty and would do nothing for me. The idiot I talked to said I should set the fluid height to what the owners manual said and if it failed Chrysler would replace it. I told this guy he was an idiot to make that statement and I’d be damaging my diff. I can’t get Chrysler to install the rear diff cover w/ rubber plug from the recall fix under warranty.

Anyone out there check the rear diff fluid level on their 2011 Ram 1500 that was built after 1-1-2011? Do they have a rear diff cover with a rubber plug in it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
No rubber plug on mine and was built in April 2011 if i remember right.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mine doesn't either.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
so where is it supposed to be filled up too?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so where is it supposed to be filled up too?
That’s exactly my point that everyone seems to miss. I contend that it should be approximately 20 oz over the threaded fill plug opening. This is the same as the K36 recall fix that installs a new rear cover that has a rubber plug in it. Here’s the last caution statement in the K36 recall procedure.

CAUTION: The original threaded fill plug on the axle housing will no longer be used. DO NOT fill the axle to the bottom threaded fill plug hole on the axle housing, the axle will be under filled. Fill and check axle fluid level using the fill hole on the new axle cover.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Is it possible that they now have the location of the fill hole drilled in the correct location? Maybe you could compare to one of the recalled axle housings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible that they now have the location of the fill hole drilled in the correct location? Maybe you could compare to one of the recalled axle housings.
We’ve already compared height location of the pre 12-18-10 axles threaded fill plug in the 2011 Ram 1500 to the ones that were produced after that for the 2011’s. They all have the threaded fill hole in the SAME HEIGHT location. Like I wrote in my first posting... When I removed the fill plug on my Ram 1500 built in March 2011 the rear axle was over filled by over ½ qt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.