DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 Dodge caravan Im having a problem with the rear passenger tail light. The turn signal wont flash even when hazard light are on it does not flash. When I turn on the Night time lights the rear passenger light does light up but wont flash or get brighter when the brakes are on. If I turn my night time lights off the passenger rear light does light up when braking. I have went as far as purchasing a brand new tail light LED witch are super expensive and have the same issues.

I really hope someone car help me as its my wifes van and she drives around with our 2 kids

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm going to say it's not grounding good. See if you can find the ground wire (should be black)that goes to the socket itself and hook a jumper wire to it and touch the other end to a ground (something with bare metal, screw...) and see if it will work. If so you'll have to find where the wire grounds normally and clean or tighten.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I've checked all the fuses that I can find that has anything related to lights and they all seem fine
I'm going to say it's not grounding good. See if you can find the ground wire (should be black)that goes to the socket itself and hook a jumper wire to it and touch the other end to a ground (something with bare metal, screw...) and see if it will work. If so you'll have to find where the wire grounds normally and clean or tighten.
Ok, I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'll update after thank you very much !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I've checked all the fuses that I can find that has anything related to lights and they all seem fine

Ok, I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'll update after thank you very much !
So im out looking at it now you mean attach a jumper wire to the socket coming from the van? Like cut the wire and and attach?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No don't cut it, plug it back together and with the light turned on use something like a test light with the pointed end stuck in the back of the plug on the black wire and use a jumper wire grounded to something metal and the other end touching the metal part of the test light or whatever you can use to stick in the back of that plug on the black wire to make contact with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok its the same issue I actually just cut it and can join back no problem not worried about it... for some reason it still turns on even when its cut the black wire....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you already changed the bulb itself? See if when you take the bulb out if it looks burnt down in the socket itself.
With the turn signal on try wiggling the new bulb in the socket to see if it tries to work properly, it's not making good connection in the socket be it ground or power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the 2011 van its a LED light the whole lens in LED except the reverse light so in order to change a light you have to change the whole thing its super expensive and I went ahead and bought a brand new light and still have the same problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 Dodge caravan Im having a problem with the rear passenger tail light. The turn signal wont flash even when hazard light are on it does not flash. When I turn on the Night time lights the rear passenger light does light up but wont flash or get brighter when the brakes are on. If I turn my night time lights off the passenger rear light does light up when braking. I have went as far as purchasing a brand new tail light LED witch are super expensive and have the same issues.

I really hope someone car help me as its my wifes van and she drives around with our 2 kids

Thanks
Trouble shooting electrical problems can be mysteriously difficult without being knowledgable and equally difficult trying to interpret it from someone description. I can tell from your post the fuse is good as you have brake and signal light on the driver's side I can also tell you have proper grounding of passenger side light as your back up and tail light works it uses the same ground. The next step is to check the circuit with the brake light switch and the multi-function switch which control headlights, signal lights as the wiring runs through this integrated multi function lever. Sometimes trying to be too frugal end up costing more money to getting a proper diagnosis. Hopefully you still have the LED tail light you can sell it to try recoup some or your money.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Can't believe the horrible advice people give here. Don't go cutting any wires. If you have a brake light there's nothing wrong with the light or the "ground". The light assembly is not the problem. It's not getting a flash signal from the BCM. The problem is there or in the switch mechanism, or somewhere in the wiring between those things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't believe the horrible advice people give here. Don't go cutting any wires. If you have a brake light there's nothing wrong with the light or the "ground". The light assembly is not the problem. It's not getting a flash signal from the BCM. The problem is there or in the switch mechanism, or somewhere in the wiring between those things.
BCM?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
The plug is not built well, turn on the turn signal and squeeze the plug if it works use a zip tie like I did to keep the contacts connected

·
Registered
26 Posts
No one told him to cut the ground. The poster sauid to back probe the socket on the blacxk wire to jumper to ground.
I think it my be ground. In my experience a lot of electicalissues are ground related. If you cut the wire, jumper the wire from the plug to a good ground. If this gets it to work fix the ground.
If it don't fix it then the problem is in the wiring coming to the light. To check this you can back probe the power wire at the socket and check with a test light or better yet a multi-meter set on the 20 VDC scale. This should indicate if power is coming to the socket. If not trace it back along that wire till you find where you find the power. Once you find the power the problem is between where you find the power and the socket.
Leo

·
Registered
416 Posts
No one told him to cut the ground. The poster sauid to back probe the socket on the blacxk wire to jumper to ground.
I think it my be ground. In my experience a lot of electicalissues are ground related. If you cut the wire, jumper the wire from the plug to a good ground. If this gets it to work fix the ground.
If it don't fix it then the problem is in the wiring coming to the light. To check this you can back probe the power wire at the socket and check with a test light or better yet a multi-meter set on the 20 VDC scale. This should indicate if power is coming to the socket. If not trace it back along that wire till you find where you find the power. Once you find the power the problem is between where you find the power and the socket.
Leo
If the ground was bad none of the lights would work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If the ground was bad none of the lights would work.
Thats incorrect, if the ground is bad with a dual filament bulb it can get enough ground to run the lower current tail light filament by grounding through the larger filament (brake t/s) by feeding from the other light.
He needs to verify which one is actually the ground and trace it to where it is supposed to be grounded. Remove the bulb and inspect the socket for corrosion. Check connections on the BCM and down line. Do all this without the new led unit because the lower current draw from that unit may cause the BCM to not recognize it. Solve in standard configuration so additional conditions are not created.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts