DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder if any of you guys that have had this installed, tested, and EVIC unlocked successfully would be willing to ask their dealer for step by step instructions to post on line. I just called my dealer and the parts guy was under the impression that you could not get the controller from factory etc etc. This way we could print the page and take it to our local dealership so they know it is being done elsewhere in the country. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here is the brake controller pigtail that is made for the 2010 ram's. Ordered on Wednesday and showed up today. Just have to wire the end that plugs into my controller and away we go! $9.89 **Note this is for use of an aftermarket controller and not the factory one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Here is the brake controller pigtail that is made for the 2010 ram's. Ordered on Wednesday and showed up today. Just have to wire the end that plugs into my controller and away we go! $9.89 **Note this is for use of an aftermarket controller and not the factory one.

I had the same thing in my glove box. How do I install it with an aftermarket brake controller. The grey plug goes under the dash but what do the wires connect to.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The wires will connect to the wiring harness that comes with your aftermarket trailer brake controller. They should be labeled or described in the instructions, and wire up to the corresponding leads on the TBC harness.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The factory brake controller will go into your 2010+ Dodge (2009 1500 only) and for those who are unsure how to get it to work with EVIC, I have the factory install instructions. It came with a full kit. (not sure of the kits part number, but the instructions sheet in each lower corner list K6861138) OE Mopar, it came with the controller, both colored trim bezels, and even the 3 small screws to attatch the controller to the dash.

To get it to work with your EVIC system, it reads:
1) VIN be must update with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable system functionality. Using the Dealer Connect, and the wiTECH diagnostic application, complete the vehicle configuration

2) Log onto (URL deleted, I'm under 5 post)

3) In the "Vehicle Option" screen under the "Global Claims System" category in the "Service Tab" enter the vehicle VIN and the 4 digit PIN number obtained from the dealer parts dept and add the sales code(s) noted below as a "Dealer Installed Option" (I think that PIN number is XHCA)

XHC (trailer brake module)

4) Confirm that the new sales code has been successfully added to the VIN

5) With the wiTECH diagnostic application, perform the following steps from the initial start up screen

* select the "diagnostic procedures" tab
*highlight "restore vehicle configuration"
*select the run diagnostic button
*select continue
*verify the vehicle VIN is correct
*Once verified, select the "correct VIN" button
*Note on screen instructions an d select "close" button

1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable

Now it just goes into the install instructions for the controller.

The info it of no use to us, but it will assist your dealer if he is not aware of this install which is sounds like most are.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had the Dealer install mine last year. It seems to work fine but is not integrated with the EVIC. They refused to upgrade the EVIC because they claim there had been several accidents caused by the way the computer was controlling the trailer brakes. BS???? or what?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can somebody briefly describe the wiring for a typical aftermarket controller. I'd like to compare an aftermarket unit to the factory controller connector inputs list below.

The large connector is wires as follows;
Terminal A1, Ground
Terminal A2, Brake Lamp Switch Output
Terminal A3 12 volt Positive
Terminal A4, Trailer Tow Brake Wire

The small connector is wired as follows;
Terminal B1, CAN C Bus (-)
Terminal B2, CAN C Bus (+)
Terminal B3, Fused Ignition Run/Start Control Output
Terminal B4, Unused

I would really like to put this on my '09. Will the unit still function without the can bus connections?
The large connector is the same connector you use if you are going to plug in the pigtail for an aftermarket controller. I'm pondering the same deal, ie wiring my own in, as i have been unable to find my smaller grey 4 pin connector. I can pick up the CAN wires from any nearby component, I see them running in the loom (twisted pairs) and I need to find a power source for the key in the run/crank position (not acc)

I suspect the CAN + and CAN - is just for communication, and this would allow the backlit illumination. But I suspect if you just add the power, no CAN, it would work, just no dimming when lights where on and of course, never get it to be recognized in the EVIC center. I can not find my small 4 pin connector, so I may have to hardwire my own in. I will add the CAN terminals too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would one of you guys be willing to measure the face size of this controller? I am looking to install in another vehicle and wonder if the size is compatible for me. Just height and width.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Toy, Check these instructions from KEN99
View attachment 321449
They worked perfectly for me.
Incinerate, perfect! I seen the CAN wires in the loom right next to the controler int he harness, just needed to locate my power for run/crank mode. Now to find a connector that will be close! Thats going to be hard. I know as a Toyota dealer tech, I can order individual connector bodies plus the pins individually, I suspect it may be possible to do the same with Dodge??? Either way, a small insulated blade connector with heat shrink over them to insulate from nearby pins can work for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Incinerate, thanks to you and the one who did the write up, I was able to get my controller wired in today. Works perfect!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Toy, Glad to hear it. KEN99 deserves all the credit. :rck: Now, If I could only find a factory "B" connector to clean up the install.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Toy, Glad to hear it. KEN99 deserves all the credit. :rck: Now, If I could only find a factory "B" connector to clean up the install.
Agreed. I'm on it too, if you find a source, holler. :D I'll do the same.

It was hard pushing those blade connectors on while looking under the dash with my 50 yr old eyes. :D:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is the Factory Brake Controller an "inertia" output to the brakes like the Prodigy controllers? ie... the harder the truck brakes are applied the higher the braking output from the brake controller to the trailer.

The Prodigy uses this system and is the best I've found. Is the Factory Controller this good?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the factory Mopar installation instructions for the integrated RAM brake controller. If you want a copy, (single 6 page pdf file) PM me with an email address. Be warned, its a smidge over 5 megs in size.

·
Registered
486 Posts
upload it somewere and post it for everyone to have or email it to me and I will upload it to my server for everyone to be able to download!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Send me a PM, I will email it to you, feel free to upload it. I have it on my server, but cant seem to access it. Its a single document, but 6 pages. The last page has some notes I scribble on it, some may find useful for those who didnt have the smaller 4 pin gray connector. I was jotting down notes to wire in my own small connector. Anyway, its the factory instructions right from Mopar, it looks to be geared more for the dealer technician, ie telling you to activate it with the wiTech scan tool. Of course, that isnt needed unless you want it on your EVIC display. PM me, I will email it to you and you can put it up. I tired to load it to this thread, but it only allows 1.95 meg for a pdf file.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.