Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
On a 2010 1500
You do not need 2 extra modules.
You only need the brake controller and the trim piece with several extra trim screws.
To get it working EXACTLY as factory installed.
They need to use dealerconnect and add code XHC to dealer added options, this will add your device to the canbus, as well as having full integration with EVIC.

This has been verified by my own install, and on several other forums.
The whole business of adding 2 extra modules for 800 dollars on a 200 dollar option is nonsense.

·
Registered
174 Posts
agreed - put one in my 2010 Laramie with the Class IV hitch package, plug un play - just need my buddy to switch it on in the evic - job done - no need for modules etc as stated above

·
Registered
32 Posts
On a 2010 1500
You do not need 2 extra modules.
You only need the brake controller and the trim piece with several extra trim screws.
To get it working EXACTLY as factory installed.
They need to use dealerconnect and add code XHC to dealer added options, this will add your device to the canbus, as well as having full integration with EVIC.

This has been verified by my own install, and on several other forums.
The whole business of adding 2 extra modules for 800 dollars on a 200 dollar option is nonsense.
Where you able to get the dealer to add the XHC code? I have heard that chrysler wont allow them to do this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Last weekend, I bought a 2010 Ram 1500 SLT and yesterday, I bought the OEM Dodge Brake Controller and face plate. Originally I was going to get a Prodigy P3, but I loved the look of the integrated controller and decided to go that route.

While trying to install it this morning, I can't find the second, smaller connector to go in to the brake controller. The larger 4 pin connector is right there and I couldn't miss it. But, I can't find the smaller of them. I have the tow package with the class IV hitch, the 4 and 7 pin connectors on the back bumper and (supposedly) the extra cooling for the engine and transmission.

Has anybody else that did this have the same problem? Where did you find the connector...or did you even find it? Will the controller work without that one? Can I still get it flashed to show in the EVIC? (I already have the appointment to do that on Tuesday)

·
Registered
37 Posts
This morning, I went to the dealership and looked at another 2010 RAM 1500 to see where the two plugs for the brake controller are located. They were right where I expected and I tried to trace the smaller one back, but it was too covered in tape to trace. So, I went to the service writer and he confirmed that I had the tow package installed and didn't know why I couldn't find the second plug. He brought in one of the technicians and he was confused as to why I didn't have two plugs for the brake controller. We even went to a new truck together and looked at the harness. After this, we consulted with the parts guys. I talked with one of the guys that was willing to look up a lot of info and we seem to have figured out what is going on.

Evidently, there are over 15 different variants of the cluster wiring harness. My truck manufacturing date is 10-09. He pulled up my VIN and tracked down that I seem to have a version 1 wiring harness. He looked and found that the integrated brake controller was added after my manufacture date.

The bottom line is that I can't use the OEM brake controller because I don't have the proper harness.

If anybody wants to buy an OEM Dodge brake controller and gray face plate for a 2010 Ram 1500, I have one to sell. I can be contacted at woblytwo (a) gmail.com. I don't want to make a profit off of it, but just want to get my money back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As I stated on the other forum, send me your e-mail.... I will send you all the info and pictures you need to get it to work. PM me here, or there. Either works.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, I hooked my truck to the trailer a couple weeks ago, nothing for brakes with the new controller. Apparently they didn't flash the computer. They told me that the flash wasn't yet avaivable for mine, yet many others have been so far, and the person I spoke of that they did before mine has had no issues. I asked what day was mine built, it was Sept 10th, 2009 I believe. Waiting on the flash, which I won't have to pay for. (Already paid install!) Good thing I really didn't need the trailer then! But I had been hoping I'd need it, just to see how she'd do. I guess it's the early build date.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most people are saying that if you have the controller hooked up, it will still work like it is supposed to. The flash will only get it integrated in to the EVIC.

·
Registered
634 Posts
nothing at all, pulled it thru the grass on #10, hit the switch, nothing, pump the pedal, ziltch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This morning, I went to the dealership and looked at another 2010 RAM 1500 to see where the two plugs for the brake controller are located. They were right where I expected and I tried to trace the smaller one back, but it was too covered in tape to trace. So, I went to the service writer and he confirmed that I had the tow package installed and didn't know why I couldn't find the second plug. He brought in one of the technicians and he was confused as to why I didn't have two plugs for the brake controller. We even went to a new truck together and looked at the harness. After this, we consulted with the parts guys. I talked with one of the guys that was willing to look up a lot of info and we seem to have figured out what is going on.

Evidently, there are over 15 different variants of the cluster wiring harness. My truck manufacturing date is 10-09. He pulled up my VIN and tracked down that I seem to have a version 1 wiring harness. He looked and found that the integrated brake controller was added after my manufacture date.

The bottom line is that I can't use the OEM brake controller because I don't have the proper harness.

If anybody wants to buy an OEM Dodge brake controller and gray face plate for a 2010 Ram 1500, I have one to sell. I can be contacted at woblytwo (a) gmail.com. I don't want to make a profit off of it, but just want to get my money back.
I had the same issue, but I was able to make it work by making my own connector. The following thread might provide some useful information:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289834&highlight=Integrated+Brake+Control

·
Registered
634 Posts
hmmmmm. well, maybe i got a bad controller. they are going to have to make one work, this one or a replacement. sucks it's been there once for the install, once to figure out why no brakes, and it'll be a third, hopefully not a forth trip, to get it all working. as much as i wanted to haul something, good thing i didn't need to

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ok I may be reading this right or wrong - lol, 50/50 - I have this issue tell me if this thread will help - I will preface with saying I have very little mechanical ability, but i can build stuff so i am not completely useless on this front :thatfunny

2010 1500 SLT Crew, no integrated trailer brakes - however I have a boat trailer with a integrated brake.. the result is a 5 prong male outlet on the trailer and a 4 prong female inlet on the truck - the consequence is I can not use the trailers lights etc until i fix this issue....what do I need to do? can the dealer help this issue with limited cash or am I better to read this forum and do it myself.

I should add that i dont care if the the truck actually uses the trailer brakes or not, my boats on 3000lbs so its not that big that I think i need to worry at this point.

thank u in advance!!
Sean

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sean,
If you want to just use the lights, get a 4 prong to 5 prong adapter. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47515.html Some auto parts stores will carry this.

If you want to use the brakes, you will need to get a trailer brake controller and then fix the wiring on the trailer to match the 7 pin plug.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sean,
If you want to just use the lights, get a 4 prong to 5 prong adapter. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47515.html Some auto parts stores will carry this.

If you want to use the brakes, you will need to get a trailer brake controller and then fix the wiring on the trailer to match the 7 pin plug.
thank you, I ordered that piece as a fix for now!! Appreciate the link.

Sean

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just picked up my new 2011 1500 Laramie and so far I love the truck. I went from an 06 2500 ram. I no longer needed the 3/4 ton and love the ride and handling as well as the styling of my new Ram! Anyway, the one thing this truck does not have is the integrated trailer break controller. There is an empty compartment where it would go. Is this something I can get installed? As far as I can tell the 2011 is the same truck as the 2010 but interested to hear what you all think. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just picked up my new 2011 1500 Laramie and so far I love the truck. I went from an 06 2500 ram. I no longer needed the 3/4 ton and love the ride and handling as well as the styling of my new Ram! Anyway, the one thing this truck does not have is the integrated trailer break controller. There is an empty compartment where it would go. Is this something I can get installed? As far as I can tell the 2011 is the same truck as the 2010 but interested to hear what you all think. Thanks
As long as the 2011 is the same as the 2010 and you read this thread, it can be done easily...presuming you have the two empty plugs for the controller.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Service manager sents me an email telling me that in addition to the $223 I spent getting mine paid for, the bezel, and install, he needs $99 MORE to make it work...If I'd known it would cost over $320, I woulda never messed with it in the 1st place, but I guess because Dodge is learning we pay! Do they even send out those customer satisfaction surveys anymore?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed one on mine. Everything works including the EVIC. No $800 modules.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
I paid a total of $180 for my factory trailer brake controller, i installed it and had the dealership unlock it for my EVIC for free

101 - 120 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.