DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this info may save someone a headache. Seems that a lot of dealers have no idea there was a change in the trailer brake control harness and connector for 2010. Hence the reason I am posting this.

The Chrysler harness (pigtail) for installing a trailer brake control in your 2010 is #68049133AA, list price $8.70. This connects the grey under dash connector to a generic trailer brake control. They are available, have been, even held one in my hand today. Chrysler even sent out a memo to all parts departments with this part number and info about the change. So if your dealer trys to tell you he can't find what you need, he is clueless.

This replaces the previous version pigtail that plugged into the blue connector under the dash.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I am going to make this thread a sticky for others

·
Registered
288 Posts
So the ultimate question is .......... Can I retrofit the 2010 integrated trailer brake into an '09 1500?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the ultimate question is .......... Can I retrofit the 2010 integrated trailer brake into an '09 1500?
Unfortunately, no. If you want the integrated trailer brake control, it has to be factory installed. Doesn't matter if you buy a 2010 truck or not, you can't add it later. GM trucks are the same way.

I did order the bezel though to try and install my controller in the same area. Figured it would be cheaper to ruin the bezel vs cutting up the pocket.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unfortunately, no. If you want the integrated trailer brake control, it has to be factory installed. Doesn't matter if you buy a 2010 truck or not, you can't add it later. GM trucks are the same way.

I did order the bezel though to try and install my controller in the same area. Figured it would be cheaper to ruin the bezel vs cutting up the pocket.
Got any pics of the installed controller with the 2010 brake contoler bezel? Just wondering how that worked out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Factory controller works in 2010

Just bought a 2010 ST Quad Cab 1500. I am new to the world of Dodge and this forum. Have bought the harness as listed at the beginning of this blog for an aftermarket controller then did a little more research.
Found that the factory system will install in 2010 1500's as plug and play.

Part numbers;
Factory Brake control Module, 56029431AE, $156.20
Dark Gray Bezel, 1EB13XDVAA, $10.40
(different colors are different P/N's)

The 2010's already have the 2 harnesses that plug right into the controller. Took me about an hour to install fumbling around and being cautious. Could do it now in 15 minutes now that I know what has to come apart.

There are 2 #20 torx screws that hold the original pocket to the dash, you will also need 3 more of these when you are at the dealer, 2 hold the controller to the bezel and the other supports the rear of the controller.
You will be able to see where the extra screws go when looking at it.

You do not need the the harness mentioned earlier, 68049133AA if installing the factory controller, the existing wiring plugs directly in.

If you have an 09 you know the connectors are different, but, the factory module connectors will accept flat spade terminals. The larger is for the normal 4 brake control wires and the smaller one I think controls the lighting and turns unit on and off and has the smaller spade terminals.

The large connector is wires as follows;
Terminal A1, Ground
Terminal A2, Brake Lamp Switch Output
Terminal A3 12 volt Positive
Terminal A4, Trailer Tow Brake Wire

The small connector is wired as follows;
Terminal B1, CAN C Bus (-)
Terminal B2, CAN C Bus (+)
Terminal B3, Fused Ignition Run/Start Control Output
Terminal B4, Unused

Your dealer will be able to print you a picture of both connectors showing terminal location.

(Again, the above Terminal information is not needed for a 2010 which is a plug and play.)

In operation, the display goes to dim when the lights are on and the up down switches light up with the lights on.

Hope this helps, respond back if any questions.

ARG

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The guys from Mopar said this can't be done??? Who did you contact that gave you different info?

So you are saying that you have full functionality including the messages in the EVIC from the Trailer Brake Controller? Did you connect a trailer and see if it actually functioned properly?

The 09 EVIC software is different so that part of the system would never work properly without an update of some type.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dealer said it can be done and it has, works great. Reference the owners manual starting on page 220 (EVIC) there is no display of any trailer brake info. All that data is displayed on the controller itself reference page 442 and on. Sway control is not affected, it will work with a boat that has no brakes using ESP.
Went by the dealer today after reading your note and dealer confirmed no flash or update needed.
This controller works exactly the same as adding an aftermarket controller with the previously mentioned harness. The additional connector contains a switched 12V connection so the unit is only on with the key and allows a self test of the lights and display then starting the truck. The other 2 connections CAN + and CAN - tell the controller if the lights are on so the controller will dim the display.
Thats about all I can tell you. Trailer brakes work great, have set about 60%.
That is about all the info I have. Thanks for the original info on the harness for aftermarket controllers.

Take care,
ARG

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The trailer control does interact with the EVIC. Page 453...

EVIC Display Messages
The trailer brake control interacts with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). Display messages, along with a single chime, will be displayed when a malfunction is determined in the trailer connection, trailer brake control, or on the trailer.
You may be able to check if it is working by disconnecting the trailer to see if it gives an error. Don't know how you could verify if it was working with the ESP and antilocks though?? Both communicate through the Can C bus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That statement is not in my manual. Maybe that is why the 2010 is different than your 2009.
All I know is that mine works and a malfunction shows on the brake control module.

ARG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Meant to say per my manual if a malfunction were to occur it would show on the brake modules display.

ARG

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That info is from a 2010 Ram manual, not the 09. Nothing at all in my book as it was not an option. Says errors appear on the unit as well as in the EVIC. If it is not talking to the EVIC, then it probably isn't talking to the ESP?? That is my only concern. If it doesn't, then that is why they said it would not work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it working.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe because I have a ST which has no EVIC is why it works without a software flash. Anyway mine works and my dealer says I don't need a flash so thats that.
Sorry I even tried to put out some information that works on my truck.

ARG

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, it is great info, thanks. Just trying to understand why they said it will not work. Not a dealer but Mopar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
An aftermarket controller does not talk to ESP or ring a bell on EVIC or give you some other trailer warnings but it does make your trailer brakes work. The factory controller uses the same 4 wires to make the trailer brakes work. At least on mine........

ARG

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes you are absolutely correct. But they are also not advertised as being integrated into the systems where the factory controller is. Sounds like your's is working though and must be getting some type of signal through the bus or it would not light and dim.

Once again, this is great info. Don't take all the questioning the wrong way. You're input on the subject is of great value and really appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As long as it works as good as an aftermarket controller and integrates into the dash without chopping things up I'm happy. The plus is that the display looks and works great, is not in the way of your legs, the display dims and the up down arrows light up with the lights on and does a lamp test on start up like the rest of the instrument lights. I am very happy with the operation and looks. Even if it did not give EVIC supplemental information, who cares, as long as it does not turn on a warning light. And, it is no more expensive than a good aftermarket unit. I rest my case. It does all of the above. Thanks again for your original post on the 2010 harness which got me started.......

ARG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Factory Controller

Thanks ARG & Topgun for the topic.

Based on your discussion, I ordered the factory brake controller and appropriate bezel for my 2010 1500 (to replace the Prodigy I had mounted under my dash in my 06 1500). Both parts with tax in NC for $163.19. I too will be happy with a dash integrated (if not EVIC integrated), workable brake controller for my travel trailer (Jayco 27BH). And now I'll be able to use the Prodigy for the wife's Durango...

Will try to let y'all know how it works out after it comes in next week, and I get around to installing.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Thanks for the info ARG.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can somebody briefly describe the wiring for a typical aftermarket controler. I'd like to compare an aftermarket unit to the factory controller connector inputs list below.

The large connector is wires as follows;
Terminal A1, Ground
Terminal A2, Brake Lamp Switch Output
Terminal A3 12 volt Positive
Terminal A4, Trailer Tow Brake Wire

The small connector is wired as follows;
Terminal B1, CAN C Bus (-)
Terminal B2, CAN C Bus (+)
Terminal B3, Fused Ignition Run/Start Control Output
Terminal B4, Unused

I would really like to put this on my '09. Will the unit still function without the can bus connections?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.