DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to start doing some more serious mods to my 2010 1500 4.7L. I've done the SuperChips Linq programmer, a Flowmaster HD 50 Series dual exhaust, and Airaid CAI. It just seems that there isn't stuff out there for 2010 4.7L engines--just the Hemi's.

Looking for bolt on improvements to start with (intake manifold, throttle body, etc.), and work my way up to the more expensive stuff (engine internals). Any suggestions where I can start looking or find for my truck?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Welcome to DT!

The 2010 was the last year for the single plug head. You best bang for the buck would be an engine swap with a 2013 model year 4.7L. The cylinder head was redesigned for lots of flow and the engine has dual plugs. I believe the only sensor that is not plug-n-play is the oil sender which isn't a problem at all. The engine didn't change so the threads are the same from 1999 all the way to the last 2013. You will just need to get a sending unit for the 2010. And I believe the design of the motor mounts changed but again, the block didn't; get a new set of 2010 mounts. Even the wiring harness on your truck will just click in place on the 2013. The COP (coil-on-plug) only has one connections and it fires both plugs. You'll need the 2013 exhaust manifolds because of the new head design but again, the connections to the down pipes are the same. This would be a good time to replace the fugly Dodge y-pipe with one from Magnaflow. Forget the CAI and just use the factory air-box. The CAI only make noise. A better air filter is all you need and replace "The Hat" or center noise resonator with a smooth mid-tube. That's the best intake setup for the money. Members have found when you put in a CAI, you get a small bump but after a month or so, the PCM offsets the change and you're right back where you were before you dropped all that money on the noise maker. You have to make major changes and include a custom tune before a CAI helps. The V6 electric fan will help some but I'm not sure if it's a plug-n-play like it is on the 08-10 model years. The exhaust will help a-little as well. And a number of members have found if you upgrade the battery cables, it helps a-little as well. And since the engine intake manifold is made of plastic, it has been found that you get a-little better feel with the gas pedal if you add an extra ground wire to the throttle body. So swearer by it and others says it's BS. It a single wire that you make with what you have in your toolbox... it's all but free and the naysayers gonna naysay. I'm sure I'll think of something else after I log-off but that's it for now.

:dtrocks:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dmcelhannon:

Thanks for the response! An engine swap sounds like major time and $$. Basically, your saying get a new engine, right? If I'm getting a new engine, why not drop a Hemi in it? Or I take it an engine swap mean that I'm using parts from the original engine that will still fit the new one and saving a few dollars? BTW, my 2010 does have the dual plus and coil like you showed in the diagram. The CAI is noisy! Let me know if you thought of anything else after you logged off!!

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
dmcelhannon:

Thanks for the response! An engine swap sounds like major time and $$. Basically, your saying get a new engine, right? If I'm getting a new engine, why not drop a Hemi in it? Or I take it an engine swap mean that I'm using parts from the original engine that will still fit the new one and saving a few dollars? BTW, my 2010 does have the dual plus and coil like you showed in the diagram. The CAI is noisy! Let me know if you thought of anything else after you logged off!!
Sorry, I didn't get back to you yesterday. Brain Fart! on the dual plugs. There have been a few DT members that have done the Hemi swap but the DT site is real light on the "How To" part of it. On the other hand, our sister site, the "Dodge Durango Forum" has some good Hemi swap threads and I believe there's a few companies that have kits. You won't have the clearance problems with the brake booster that they do and your truck has lots of room in-between the engine and radiator. I thought about the swap for my truck but with it being a 2002 model, the computers and even the dash cluster would be a problem. Your truck is new enough, it should be an easier swap. Bone stock 2010 4.7L engine for a bone stock Hemi should net you about 85-horsepower. But unlike the 4.7L engine, once the Hemi is in there you'll have tons of performance upgrades out there.

:drivingz:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.