·
PowerwagonMark
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
..::MOOSE::..
1,580 Posts
The Toyota was the real looser though.
:dropjaw: That looked like it was over a foot of deflection!!!! WOW!! I thought the whole back end was going to fall off!!!!;D Scary!!

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Nothing to worry about. That's just built in frame flex for 4wheelin'. LOL

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
They are in even more hot water. The recall "fix" apparently is not working.
It's not a stickin' gas pedal. It's the 'puter programin' LOL I been saying that all along. The gas pedal fix was just to buy them some time. But it's back firing on them. If some body get hurt in one of their cars after it's been recalled. Think they're in deep doodoo now. Just wait. This is far from over.

·
Power Wagon Winch Mob
3,937 Posts
It's not a stickin' gas pedal. It's the 'puter programin' LOL I been saying that all along. The gas pedal fix was just to buy them some time. But it's back firing on them. If some body get hurt in one of their cars after it's been recalled. Think they're in deep doodoo now. Just wait. This is far from over.
I agree, it is a computer problem, and this is just the beginning. Congress wants to speakl to them again. I don't know what their fix was, but I assume it didn't touch the programming. They probably simply don't know how to fix it. :(

·
1,580 Posts
I agree, it is a computer problem, and this is just the beginning. Congress wants to speakl to them again. I don't know what their fix was, but I assume it didn't touch the programming. They probably simply don't know how to fix it. :(
I've worked with hightech companies in Japan. They're all the same it seems. It's all about "saving face" in other words "it's never my falt and your to blame" type of mentality that is getting them deeper into problems. They're quik to point fingers at you before they admit to a major problem.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
We have 2 Corollas, 04' & 010. Gas pedal did stick on me once on the 2010 on the way to work. I used my foot to pull it back up. I pulled over & looked at it REAL good. The center tunnel or "trans tunnel" (as it used to be called), flairs out towards the bottom & pedal sticks against the carpet there when you mash the pedal down. I drive fast, my wife does not. It has never happened to her because she don't mash the pedal down that far. The 04 trans tunnel does not flair out down by your feet as much as the 2010's. We had the fix done, now the gas pedal is too close to the brake pedal IMO.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Should of taken a BMF ball peen hammer to the tranny tunnel for clearance. Would have been cheaper for Yota then. :D

·
Chad Loves His Hemi
447 Posts
lol.. I love comparison video's.. especially the ones that are performed by biased people

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Should of taken a BMF ball peen hammer to the tranny tunnel for clearance. Would have been cheaper for Yota then. :D
LMFAO :thatfunny Iwas thinking the same thing--and almost did it myself---but my wife stopped me while I was heading for the garage. LOL :D

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
lol.. I love comparison video's.. especially the ones that are performed by biased people
Yup, the Dodge was the only one with IRSuspension. I bet a 2500 with the Carli set up could float over that stuff at 2x the speed.

·
1,580 Posts
Yup, the Dodge was the only one with IRSuspension. I bet a 2500 with the Carli set up could float over that stuff at 2x the speed.
Good point!! Everything has a sweet spot when it comes to speed. I wonder if they were doing that drive mutiple times until they could find the worst vibation, kind of like feedback on a sound system, at a certain speed and then adjusted the footage to match that of the best operating speed of the other.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Def says something about frame stiffness.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
Good point!! Everything has a sweet spot when it comes to speed. I wonder if they were doing that drive mutiple times until they could find the worst vibation, kind of like feedback on a sound system, at a certain speed and then adjusted the footage to match that of the best operating speed of the other.
I believe the test is supposed to be done at a constant 60mph. Obviously nobody would be driving that fast over shit like that, especially as the rear end is trying to escape. But with some good suspension you could :cool:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
While I can't dispute this I can tell you that the torture tracks built at the Ford proving grounds are the best in the world and many manufacturers pay big bucks to torture and break their new designs.

The specific test we are viewing is a set of varying height widths and staggers designed specifically to prevent any design or speed specifically dedicated to testing from dominating the tests. It is very good at exposing the areas that are weakest. Engineering would be tough to test in any other way as this proving grounds quickly exposes any shortcomings in design regardless of speed. Even full-on desert race trucks exhibit design flaws in different sections while making other sections seem as though they don't exist.

Kudos to Ford for their willingness to torture equipment to the point of failure! They even test their stock trucks in Baja with Score international racing events. While I don't care for Ford power trains I must admit they do a fine job working out the kinks in their designs.

Dodge needs to get a clue and start to refine their designs by fixing the obvious design flaws we the owners are plagued by! Ball joints, weak control arms, leaking pinon seals, death wobble, steering pull, wander, wheel hop, sporadic locker engagement, steering shaft play, steering box sector shaft play, Winch thermal protection, blend and divert doors, window regulators, etc etc etc.

I love my truck but I curse the system that allows poor and even flawed designs to become accepted industry practice. Designed to fail after 3 years or 36,000 miles comes to mind.

KP

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
couldn't find a video, but considering the standard f-150 already does pretty well watching the raptor should be pretty uneventful.

I've seen these before and the out come is always the same. I'm not surprised to see the ford wins them, the suspension design on them is better for that type of track. That is why the guys in the desert convert their dodges to radius arms for that type of stuff.
That doesn't mean it's a better truck, and the dodge did almost as well with a less suited suspension. For has both of their rear shocks on the back of the axle, it will smooth out suspension travel but does nothing to control wheel hop. I don't know if wheel hop is an issue with the fords, with the stiff springs they have probably not. But on a power wagon it sure is, like we all know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts