Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am getting beyond frustrated with these Trans oil cooler lines.

My upper line is seeping fluid where the rubber meets the crimp fitting on the cooler end.

I only have 37k miles on a 2009 1500 sport but I guess age has gotten to the upper line, this is the first actual leak or even non recall fix done to this truck, it has been an amazing truck! The specifics of the drive-train is a 2009 Ram 1500 sport quad (not sure what they call it with the 3/4 doors) cab 5.7 HEMI.

I do not want to pay 400+ dollars for a mechanic to replace these with parts cost being $200 or less and the only tools you need are an e-clip release tool and a flat-head for the plastic hold down clips, maybe 30 minutes of work and some top off fluid and forget about what the dealership would charge.

I have been at this for a week and decided to spend locally at Advanced twice what I would pay online for the parts just so I could get my hands on them and compare that they are the correct length and shape. The issue is that the upper line is seeping fluid and the part number is no where to be found that I could find on the internet or even that the employees in store could find, the only reason I found the upper line was by lowering the doorman part number by one digit, the lower is shown in the store as the proper part number as well as online, I wound up with...
Upper trans cooler line DORMAN 624-282
Lower trans cooler line DORMAN 624-283

I finally get out to the driveway to swap out the lines (may as well do both while I am doing it) and I see that the connection at the oil cooler radiator are e-clip type and the connections on that side on the doorman lines are a bell end with fingers inside. This is the case with both lines so I know at least one of them is the one shown as correct in a fitment guide.

It may be the case that these are interchangeable and both will lock over the ridge on the cooler connector points but do not want to wind up loosing a line and blowing up my trans unless there is someone familiar with this issue that can advise that either one will lock over the pipe ridge.

Attached are images of the quick connect bell connector on the doorman lines and the actual connector in my truck that is an e-clip type.

Does anyone have experience with this and knows if they are interchangeable or can help me figure out a correct part number for either the set or the individual lines? I have tried to figure this all out by myself but now I am stuck.

Also I would not mind buying one of the metal e-clip release tools if anyone knows what size I would need. I know I could do it with a pick but I do not want to bend the clip and for $20 I may as well have one in my toolbox.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:
Of course I find something after posting this. The mistake I made was for looking for one (the upper) line I have ordered a set of Mopar Part No.: 55056859AD and since not aftermarket I assume they will have the e-clip connectors.

I am still curious if that bell end connector will work over a line with a ridge for an e-clip type, the doorman aftermarket seems to use this method and is it just cheaper or non patented way of making the same connection or are you expected to pull the two line adapter off of the cooler and replace that also?, In the end both sets of lines OEM with all the clips was not really more expensive than a single aftermarket line.

I still can not make out the ends anywhere on the MOPAR OEM but I assume those should be correct.

Ordered a 3/8 e-clip disconnect, seemed to be the correct one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 Durango 5.9. The transmission cooler lines were also leaking at the crimped connections. When I lost reverse I had the shop repair the lines also. They just cut the hoses, removed the ends and replace with proper type hose securing them with hose clamps. Has worked fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.