DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan (Special Edition or Anniversary Edition not sure)

I have a problem where the Dashboard screens are completely out. The back light doesnt work. The stereo works. The overhead lights dont work. The little directional lights above the drivers do not work either.

Ive been scouring the internet for this and found videos that describe it. They talk about Body Control Modules being back and replacing that at a cost of 600-1200 dollars. Ive also seen that somewhere a bad connector might be at fault causing a short in the BCM circuit so the whole circuit doesnt come on?

Ive had this happen 3 times previously and what worked was I would disconnect both battery terminals and let it sit for like an hour. I would put the terminals back on and boom.. lights and instrument cluster worked.

Well this fourth time that didnt work. Ive had the terminals off for a whole day.. touched them together to discharge the circuit..

Well that didnt work 6 months ago..

Today (It is my wifes car) she just texted me and said.. The lights came back on when I started the car! However she said that she pulled out of the driveway went one intersection and the lights and dash turned off again.

So Ive got no problem taking it to a dealership if I am going to get a fix. IT sounds like a lot of dealerships will replace the BCM at a cost of 600-1200 and that isnt the problem. Ive also read that it might be a short.. Ive heard something in the drivers door corrodes? Ive also heard that there is a problem with the electric door drivers side rear slider and some kind of short in there?

I dont mind doing the electrical work myself. I guess I am trying to find a mechanic that goes.. "YUP I know I can fix this"

or I can go looking myself.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Im fine as long as I get it fixed right. I really dont feel like spending 1200 and then 2 weeks later it goes dark and they want to charge me again?

Ive all but given up (before taking it anywhere) because the car just runs. I have no instrument cluster so I am guessing I cant even sell the car (how do you tell what miles it has?)

Dunno.. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yup we all want that magic bullet fix. Hope you get one. My two cents is based on reading multiple forums for years. No direct experience on this one.

First, your model year van does not have a BCM. In 2008 it's circuitry was incorporated into the TIPM or totally integrated power module. That's a fancy term for the fuse box though it is much more than a fuse box. Second, when you disconnect the battery you are resetting the CAN data bus controlled by the TIPM and the EVIC (instrument cluster). That data bus controls the lighting and most of the electronics in the van. Since all is well once it's reset then it dies and now it has died permanently I would suspect the TIPM and to a lesser extent the EVIC is at fault. The TIPM especially has a sour history. Third, the only way to troubleshoot this correctly is with a dealerships fancy dan scanner. All you and I can do is inspect connections and wiring and maybe check a voltage and ground here and there. Could do a shake test and see if it comes back to life.

Sure hope you find that bullet. That can be tough on today's microchip vans. If you do please share. You'll help many.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts