DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ram 1500 single cab 4.7l, 2wd
Recently I started a return trip home from the holidays and I started hearing a loud hissing noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side, between the engine and the firewall. Possibly on the lower side of the engine. It's difficult to locate as I don't have any assistance to diagnose it or find it.

These are the symptoms:
While accelerating there is a loud hissing noise.
It will not accelerate past 4500 rpms
It will not shift when accelerating hard
It has very little power or acceleration

What I've done:
Looked for possible cracks to fuel canister hose. I noticed when I pull the hose off there is no vacuum, but I'm not sure there should be. Could be a vent, I'm not sure.
All fluids are normal
Used carb cleaner around the intake and found no change in performance.
The only codes showing are for my O2 sensors. I replaced them a little while ago thinking they are bad because of the code, but I am now told they are not always on and there could be a bad spot in the common ground wire.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So. Catalytic converters are plugged up and blew a hole in the Y pipe. That's the hissing noise. Ordered new exhaust, we will see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
I had some vacuum lines get brittle and cracked from the exhaust. They ran under the drivers seat (Under the vehicle) that where routed close to the exhaust to the fuel tank. I replaced 3-4 sections of vacuum lines. My symptoms where a hissing sound as I shut the vehicle off... I could hear a sucking sound for a few seconds after key was turned off.

Take a look at the vacuum lines that run under the vehicle and verify they are not cracked from Time/exhaust heat.

Good luck.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM PERFORMANCE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got done with installing a completely new exhaust system. So far so good.

The previous owner installed an additional catalytic converter ( I have no idea why) in place of the muffler. They cobbled together and welded other parts of the exhaust hence the complete new system. I have no idea why you want a 3rd cat.each exhaust bank has its own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts