DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, my check engine light came on today for the first them, as well as a lightning bolt in inverted parenthesis. I immediately went to an Autozone and had the codes read. I was told it was a coolant issue, and required a new Thermostat. I purchased the thermostat and went to my mechanic. The ligtning bolt disappeared when I started the car. Anyway, he popped the hood and noticed I had ZERO coolant in my car. We put antifreeze in, and everything seems to be ok. I was really scared though because I take my car in for regular maintenance, and I had my oil changed about 2months ago at Jiffy Lube, and they checked all my fluids. Am I safe now or does anyone recommend doing anything further? Is it possible there is leak or something? Just want to make sure I'm all clear. It was really frightening, and my absolute nightmare is I get stuck on the freeway. I do everything so that never happens to me. I would probably die from knowing I'm stuck on the freeway :(:bawl::bawl:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Did the light look like this?

If it did, that's the warning light for the Electronic Throttle Control (basically, drive by wire), that should have nothing to do with the cooling system unless a there's a coolant line that runs to the throttle and lack of coolant caused an issue with it. Keep an eye out for that light, just in case that's not the last you see of it.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
The coolant issue and the etc symbol have nothing to do with each other.

Coolant is a fluid that isn't going to be disappearing unless there is a problem. I would get that looked at. Could be caused by something small like a leaky hose, or something big like bad head gasket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
dodge avenger

I too Have an Avenger but mine is a 2012 same issue but minus the thermostat they cant tell me why and have a brown jelly/sludge in cooling system

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I too Have an Avenger but mine is a 2012 same issue but minus the thermostat they cant tell me why and have a brown jelly/sludge in cooling system
If you have a jelly/sludge in the cooling system you have a leaking head gasket or a cracked head or block. You are getting oil into the cooling system and oil and water don't mix well...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
To the OP, what does your oil look like? A couple of gallons of anti freeze doesn't just "disappear"

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
If you have a jelly/sludge in the cooling system you have a leaking head gasket or a cracked head or block. You are getting oil into the cooling system and oil and water don't mix well...
It could be an issue with just the coolant itself. Supposedly somebody in the supply line for the coolant for the V-6 200's and Avenger's built at the Sterling Heights plant added too much of an anti-leak agent to the coolant and it thickened it up to the point it becomes a gel. There's been a number of posts on AvengerForumz and 200Forum in relation to it, there have been a few people who had to have their heater core replaced and the rest of the system flushed because of it. Doesn't seem to have been a problem on my 200, so hopefully mine predates or came after that issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My oil looks just fine. I found out there is a crack in my coolant tank/reservoir and have to get it replaced. As for as the ETC symbol goes, I think my dash/computer system is erroneous.

This is why: After realising the coolant issue, I topped the tank with antifreeze. A few days later, I had the same issue! The ETC alert and check engine light came back on. Found out it was a coolant issue again. There is a crack in the coolant tank and needs to be replaced. Autozone ordered it for me so in the meantime I filled the tank. All alerts cleared from the dash!!! So my theory is the system is detecting something, but is not displaying it accurately.

Thank you all for your help. I have zero knowledge with cars and I appreciate every response!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exact same symptoms here. Back story. Less than a year ago the plastic housing on the drivers side of the engine was cracked and replaced. Just this week the throttle light went on and I pulled codes and had the coolant code. It was low. I noticed that there was some coolant on top of the transmission below the aforementioned housing. I cleaned that up and after my wife put a 100 miles on it there is more coolant there. Cleaned again and let it run for 15 minutes with paper towel under that housing and no leakage. I can find no leakage at all and squeezing hoses etc. doesn't reveal anything. I'm curious to find out what others do here. If I get some insight I'll post it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Red Bolt of Doom

Also had the red lightning bolt appear the other night, came on while driving home, the car had no power, shifted extremely difficult and would not go faster than 30 mph despite the rpm gauge running normal. Made it home and shut the car off and let it sit, started the car the next day and the car ran normal so I took it to get it checked out, the dodge dealership could not locate any issues nor duplicate the problem thus making it unable to figure out what was wrong. It has now been several days and the car is running fine and hopeing that this does not come on again, would just be nice if Dodge could make the idiot lights less idiotic and make them actually tell you what's wrong with the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.