DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I've read old thread of '08's burning up pads - I've got calipers that keep locking up! :YO:

It's already been back to the shop twice since we bought it a month ago - it's going back tomorrow morning, because it did it AGAIN today. My wife limped it home in a heavy rain, and sure enough - you put it in gear, and the right one is seized tight enough it will NOT roll. :mad:

As you might imagine, this is getting a TAD irritating. Anyone else have these issues, and if so, how'd YOU get 'em resolved? I still have the 8/100k mile warranty, and Chrysler threw in a 3/36 bumper-to-bumper when I bought it, since it was certified pre-owned. Right now, it just seems 'certifiable' (or it's driving ME that way! :VHOT:). Here's hoping THIRD time is the charm.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the local Chrysler dealer just took it for a 9 mile spin - naturally, NOTHING is "wrong." :banghead: It's not even coding on the computer.

Last time, they lubed, inspected, & cleaned all the moving parts, and resurfaced the right rotor, but this is the third time it's happened - right or left. Could their be a problem in the brake lines or master cylinder that cause this? Could a wire be shorting somewhere, that is telling the caliper to seize? I'm open to suggestions! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
195 Posts
When i first read your post i was curious about the problem and googled it. Pages of hits came up for this problem and i did not see one solution. The popular consensus seems to be that the 2008 Caravan SXT has undersized brakes installed and Chrysler refuses to admit there is a problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just found this. This bulletin is supposed to apply to your van. TSB #05-006-08

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvic...brake-noise-and-wear-caravan-town-and-country

The TSB says to replace front pads with pad kit #68053152AA and front brake rotors with rotor #04721995AA. The repair is covered under the factory warranty if the vehicle is still within the warranty period. The allowed labor time is .6 of an hour.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another thought is what about a bad flex hose. Seen that before and caused a similar problem. The inside of the hose goes bad and will restrict the line. Your calipers work on a hydrulic type system, there is no wire that will cause a caliper to seize.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thought is what about a bad flex hose. Seen that before and caused a similar problem. The inside of the hose goes bad and will restrict the line. Your calipers work on a hydrulic type system, there is no wire that will cause a caliper to seize.
For the win! :worthy:

It did it AGAIN today while my wife was out, so she drove it straightaway to the dealership & left the engine running for 'em, to come out and look at it. Weak hose is PART of the diagnosis. They ALSO think, the previous owner/doofus topped off/refilled the master cylinder, with "something OTHER" than brake fluid! :YO::eek::ugh:spank2:

Consequently, they're replacing the master cylinder, the lines, the rotors (they're pretty scored now) and pads- UNDER warranty! And we have an '07 Chrysler T&C loaner until they do. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd be asking them if they are changing calipers too if there is something other than brake fluid in that system. There are rubber seals in the calipers and if the master and flex lines are affected so is the calipers.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be asking them if they are changing calipers too if there is something other than brake fluid in that system. There are rubber seals in the calipers and if the master and flex lines are affected so is the calipers.
Forgot to include them, but YES - they're basically re-doing the entire braking system! :tup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thats good, glad to here that the problem was found and getting fixed.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Glad to hear the dealer service person was an airhead and fouled the whole system. It sounds like the dealer was stand up at that point to change everything out for you.
I hope it does the trick and that you have no further problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.