DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not beating the bush with this question... Sorry if I am, but I hate searching! haha..

Anyways, my Dad has a 2007 1500 Ram Sport. He has put 30,000 miles on it, and it's about time for some new tires. He drives a lot and towing is something that is necessary. He tows my Jeep for me down to Moab about twice a year, and who knows whatever other things he will tow now and then, but the main use for the truck is a daily driver for him. He doesn't do much off roading, just when it is needed - like when I break down on the trail when wheeling! :D

Well, we are looking for some meatier tires for his Ram. On his old 1995 Ram we were running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's and had also run both BFG mud's and A/T's, and all 3 tires have been great, but they mud's and the MT/R's wear out very fast, and he would be going through them every year, but we still want a good tire for towing, and a decent aggressive look.

What options are available? Should we stick to the BFG Mud's, A/T's, or the Goodyear MT/R's? I've heard good stuff about the Toyo Open Country's, but we've never tried those tires.

We are planning on using the stock 20" rims. Also, what is the biggest size we could fit without lifting or leveling? We are hoping for 33's, but may opt to get a leveling kit to give the ram a bit more aggressive look and a bit more ground clearance on the front.

Thanks for the help!

·
377 Posts
We have used the Toyo open country on our hauling truck, which hauls 10 horses at a time from Mesa, AZ to Fort Worth, TX about 3 times a month. They are an awesome tire for all around use from what i have found. I have had them off road, and running the highway. They are normally a 50,000 mile tire, but with all the towing we just replaced after 39,000. Quiet and smooth, yet ready to take on what you throw at it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
275/65/20 nitto terra grapplers or goodyears at/s. 34" tire. they are not to agressive for the daily driver.

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
stock 20" tires are 33 x 11 so you could look at the same size or 33 x 12.50 in the toyo MT ( ihad these in 35x12.50x1 and they were awesome! i have the mickey thompson's on my 07 on stock 20s...the 305/55/20 are basically a 34.5 x 12.50

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome answers guys! Thanks for helping me find some options. That Toyo Open Country sounds awesome. I didn't know it was a 50,000 mile tire! I think the heaviest load we take on the truck is a trailer with a jeep on the back and the bed full of spare parts and tools. So, pobably nowhere near what most of the guys on here tow.

I haven't seen the Nitto's - that'll be something to check out. What is the life expectancy of the Nitto's?

I'll have to talk my dad into getting a leveling kit, and we'll throw some 35's on there.

Sorry, not too familiar with the Ram's 20" stock rims, but how wide is that rim? I don't want to get too wide of tires on that rim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts