DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basic 4 speaker, single cd factory radio. I want to install my JVC stereo that I pulled out of my 2003 ram. Do I need the wiring harness with the modulator that costs around $150.00, or just the basic wiring harness. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you do not have steering wheel controls or factory Sirius then all you need is an inexpensive wire harness (about $10) and a mounting kit (about $20). Both can be bought at your local car stereo store.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
you also need a can-bus adapter. Best thing to do, is go to crutchfields website. They will tell you everything that you need.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When I ordered mine from crutchfield they were going to include the regular harness for free. But charged me extra for the harness with the extra thingy attached to the side of it. I think they said it had something to do with the automatic shutoff when you open up the doors. My radio does shut off when I open the doors. If the special harness is for the steering wheel controls then I wasted my money because I dont have that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is what I got http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VqyIPFaN02g/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=120SVI6502 and it seems to work and was easy to solder onto the radio harness that came with the stereo. So does that mean if you use the cheap harness the radio shuts off when you turn the key off? If so then I can sit in my truck and listen to the radio for a while until I open the door so it works. May not be worth it for some people then I guess.

·
Registered
209 Posts
you do not have to get the harness because of CAN-BUS. if you do not have the infinity package and do not care about retained accy power then use the regular harness. you will have to run a accy wire to the radio though. in 05 is when they switched to can-bus and since that you have to run a accy wire. the radio turns on by a DATA signal. if you have infinity you WILL need the CAN-BUS adapter, or if you care about R.A.P then get the extra part.

the cig plug on the left side of your dash should be a accy source. the wire should be pink/yellow for 12v. just run it to the dash opening and your done. if the cig plug on the left side of your dash is constant then you need to go to the dealer and have it re-programmed to switched. unless you want to track down another accy wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.