DodgeTalk Forum banner
  • Enter for your chance to win a $50 Amazon Giftcard! HERE.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the thermostat, bled the system,and checked the heater core with garden hose test, water runs through it fine. It doesn't overheat, the AC blows cold, but will not blow warm air at all! I'm at a loss, any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. In all my research that’s the only thing I could come up with also, but I wanted to make sure. Isn’t there four blend doors in there, do you know which one it would be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the thermostat, bled the system,and checked the heater core with garden hose test, water runs through it fine. It doesn't overheat, the AC blows cold, but will not blow warm air at all! I'm at a loss, any guidance would be much appreciated.
Blend door.
Thanks for the tip. In all my research that’s the only thing I could come up with also, but I wanted to make sure. Isn’t there four blend doors in there, do you know which one it would be?

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
Yes it's the 06 manual but the pdf for the 07 doesn't exist and just about everything is the same. Here is the parts manual:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it's the 06 manual but the pdf for the 07 doesn't exist and just about everything is the same. Here is the parts manual:
Well crap, it’s not a blend door actuator issue. I checked all 3 of them tonight and they all work like they are supposed to. The third one I checked was the one I was looking for (of course), which was the the temp control. It worked well and moved the flap open and closed, nothing looked to be broken. I’m about ready to give up. I can’t understand what else it could be. I also checked my bleeder valve and left it open for a long time to make sure the system was air free. After a while, coolant stopped coming out and the reservoir was plenty full. That shouldn’t happen should it? Is there anyway I could have installed my thermostat backwards? Is that possible? Any feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could still have some air in the system. Check out this video.
Fast forward to 18 minutes. He uses a special funnel to get the last bit of air out. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could still have some air in the system. Check out this video.
Fast forward to 18 minutes. He uses a special funnel to get the last bit of air out. Good luck.
Thank you for the video. I did find that the blend door behind the glovebox is broken, so hopefully that is the issue. I will replace it this weekend and find out.

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
Thank you for the video. I did find that the blend door behind the glovebox is broken, so hopefully that is the issue. I will replace it this weekend and find out.
Called it lol. It's almost never the actuator itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called it lol. It's almost never the actuator itself.
Yes you did! I saw you wrote blend door, I don’t know why I just assumed, blend door actuator. I have a parts car, and it’s broken too in the exact same spot! I hope they make the replacement beefier than the original.

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
Not sure if the factory did. This was a common problem in 3G Rams (02-08), so common they created a factory retrofit upgrade for the system (but not warrantied or under a recall 🤬). When my heater core blew I replaced all that as insurance; recirc door ended up breaking on me lol (which is separate from where the blends doors are). Usually aftermarket replacements address this; Rockauto usually carried the good replacements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, well of course fixing that blend door didn't change a freakin thing, because it's me. Could the heater core be semi-plugged? Like letting through a small amount of coolant, enough to not overheat the car, but not enough for the heater to blow warm? I hooked up a garden hose to the core and got water to pass through, but maybe not enough. Or, could my water pump be working good enough to not overheat, but not enough to get warm air? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just really want to send this thing over a cliff right now.

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
Certainly possible. Stupid question; are the hoses installed correctly (in/out)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question, never even considered that before. I have not removed them before (except to test the HC) but that doesn’t mean the owner before me couldn’t have. On my car, the inlet is a little higher than the outlet, and is right of the outlet. The outlet goes to a T and goes to the engine and reservoir. Does that all sound right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes you did! I saw you wrote blend door, I don’t know why I just assumed, blend door actuator. I have a parts car, and it’s broken too in the exact same spot! I hope they make the replacement beefier than the original.
Well, you’re not going to like this. this is based on my experience with my 06 Ram2500. In March 06 Dodge changed the entire heater assembly and the controller panel. From what the dealer told me it was due the the heater breaking regularly. I suspect this was a fleet wide issue, why have several different heaters across the product line. There may be after market one available but all the dealer would have is the post-March unit. I ended up completely replacing my heater assy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, you’re not going to like this. this is based on my experience with my 06 Ram2500. In March 06 Dodge changed the entire heater assembly and the controller panel. From what the dealer told me it was due the the heater breaking regularly. I suspect this was a fleet wide issue, why have several different heaters across the product line. There may be after market one available but all the dealer would have is the post-March unit. I ended up completely replacing my heater assy.
Well that’s a bummer, hopefully I’ll get it figured out soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well that’s a bummer, hopefully I’ll get it figured out soon.
I’m not sure if it applies to you but the parts guys at your dealership should be able to help. On mine they had the new part numbers with a note saying effective March ‘06. My truck was dated late 05 so it had the old system

·
Red Trucker
3,052 Posts
That's a truck. OP has a car....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts