DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just bought the spoiler lip off a fellow member and was wondering if anyone knew the screw size and maybe had some pictures of the fasteners or whatever holds them down. Thanks

·
Lifted HEMI 4x4
5,519 Posts
maka said:
I recently just bought the spoiler lip off a fellow member and was wondering if anyone knew the screw size and maybe had some pictures of the fasteners or whatever holds them down. Thanks

the ones that come standard on the 06's ????

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john.colorado said:
the ones that come standard on the 06's ????
Yes I was wondering if anyone knows the screw sizes and such for mounting them.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump anyone have any clue on how to mount this on there?

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
You are going to have to drill holes in your tailgate. Your local dealer should have the screws available. Just curious any reason why the spoiler didn't come with them in the first place?

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know, the member I bought them off of said he didnt have the screws. I need to get some good ones to hold so I was wondering if anyone that took theirs off might be able to help me out.

·
1 TIM 6:12 Fight RIGHT!!
2,160 Posts
Screws

I am the "member" he got it from! ;) I got it from my local dealer without hardware. The way it was explained to me is that the 06 tailgates have nutplates and holes built into them from the factory and have specific screws that are used to mount them with. When you order just the spoiler it does not come with screws unless you order them with it. AND even if I did order the screws they would NOT work on a tailgate(pre 06) that didn't have the nutplates anyway!. My recommendation would be to place the spoiler on your tailgate where you want it (centered), mark the spoiler holes on the tailgate, go to Ace Hardware and pick up some sheetmetal screws and maybe some washers, drill the appropriate size holes and mount that sucker!! It's NOT that big of a deal, is it?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
That would be my suggestion... get some self tapping screws.

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
My VW's intake came with these expandable inserts. You'd drill a hole in the sheetmetal then tap in the insert until it was flush. When you tightened the screw/bolt into it, it would expand and lock into place tightly and flush. Best part was it was threaded so you could screw/unscrew the bolts easily.
I believe they were called nutserts.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was figured I might need a small bolt so maybe I could use a nut on the inside of the tailgate to hold it for extra protection.

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
Do a search in a search engine for the nutserts. Tons of links will pop up. You're better off using them. You can get the stock screws and measure the thread size and get a nutsert to match. I honestly think this will be the best way.
They never came loose on my VW intake and they had to absorb the twisting and vibrations of the motor in daily driving and on race days.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good, I have some small screws holding them on for now until I can get some good holding ones. Ill keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought the spoiler from the dealer to install on my 05 and the screws and nuts
( more like a threaded clip) where seperate from the actual spoiler. The hardware was like 6 or 8 bucks. But I wouldn't use any self tapping screws, spend the few bucks and do it right the first time.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought some 1/4 Carraige bolts washers and nuts. Im going to drill some holes, take womens clear coat nail polish to dab it in the holes and around it then finish up. I had to take apart that oval plate on the inside of the tailgate where the handle is located. Pics soon.

·
It's a JEEP thing!
3,233 Posts
BobbyC said:
I bought the spoiler from the dealer to install on my 05 and the screws and nuts
( more like a threaded clip) where seperate from the actual spoiler. The hardware was like 6 or 8 bucks. But I wouldn't use any self tapping screws, spend the few bucks and do it right the first time.

I second that suggestion...

BobbyC, got any pics of the install. I am very intrested in doing this mod too

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so ive been busy and Ive been slowly working on this. I dont have the womans clear coat nail polish which I recommend because you can get it all good. I drilled the holes for the bolts and I used duplicolor clear coat in a spray can (Wipe before dripping). I know am going to install the bolts and put it all back together. Heres a few pics. PS Dont mind the little hole on the upper left, that was to the snaps for my bed cover.

Attachments

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some more pics

Attachments

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might paint them black... I got plenty of time to do that. Thanks again funinak for the spoiler.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.