DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just bought a 2006 loaded ram, he purchased a remote starter from the dealer when he bought the truck. He was promised a factory starter, when he picked up the truck it had a Audiovox unit. When he started to use it, it would blow the horn once then start. I told him this was not the way the unit should work. So far he has brought the truck to the dealer for a total of three days, and now they said they are ordering a factory starter. I know some of you have had these starters installed, can you tell me what units you have used and is there really a problem installing these on the 2006 model.......Thanks

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Not sure about the 06's but I know MANY people have them installed here. someone is sure to chime in here before long....

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
When you order the factory unit, you get a new keyless entry fob with an extra button for the remote start.

It's actually now standard equipment on some of the '07 Laramie trucks, and a factory option on SLT's. But for '06 the dealer had to install it for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an 07 with the factory unit installed. It does honk twice and flash the parking lights before starting. Does anyone know how to turn off the honks?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
bhlingle said:
I have an 07 with the factory unit installed. It does honk twice and flash the parking lights before starting. Does anyone know how to turn off the honks?
I'm pretty sure an explanation of this is in your owner's manual, along with how to change other programable setting such as whether the parking lights flash when you lock the doors, and how long the headlamp delay is.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah it should just be programing. I had mine installed at a Car audio shop and it honked the horn twice the guy just programed it differntly and the horn went away.

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
the mopar remote starts have no options to disable the honk you can make the duration short or long honk. but i found the best way to disable it is cut the wire that gose from the remote start module to the horn wire in the steering collum.. Thats how i was told to do it from DCX Star Center.. I am the remote start and accessories installer for a dealership

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had the Mopar remote start installed on my 05 Powerwagon when I bought it. It bugged me that the damn horn would sound every time and I complained to the service manager about it. The installer said it was programmable, "just read the instructions" is what he said. I did many times but found nothing. Brought it back and he did it on the fly. Not sure what he did......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hemmidog....I beg to differ with you, but Dodge dealers can program the MOPAR remote starter to NOT chirp the horn when using the remote starter. How do I know? My dealer did mine to day...as well as flashing the computer so that I could program out the horn blowing when I use the remote door locks.

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
DelawareDon said:
Hemmidog....I beg to differ with you, but Dodge dealers can program the MOPAR remote starter to NOT chirp the horn when using the remote starter. How do I know? My dealer did mine to day...as well as flashing the computer so that I could program out the horn blowing when I use the remote door locks.
reeli know is your the factory one that came with it or is it the dealer installed factory one cuz the dealer installed one there in no way unless you cut the wire and yes the factory one u can do it threw stare scan..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Dave, I've got an 07 Megacab 2500 Laramie Diesel and was wondering if you or anyone has installed a CompuSTAR PRO model R9000FRM-PRO remote starter (diesel compatible) an auto alarm place-Audio Heaven. One of my worries since I am from the middle part of Ontario, Canada, is the "cold start" days where you have to wait for the "wait to start" light goes off from the dash before starting the truck. Having said that, do you know if these remote starters are smart enough to start after the light and not over crank the truck or mess up the electronics of the truck; kind of worried as the Dodge dealer said to me, any thing after market like starters, performance chips or other mods will void my New Car Warranty and Extended Warranty. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Your dealer should know better than to make that statement. Most dealers have a guy that comes in and installs remotes. The guy that did my truck does most of the dealers around here. Find a competant installer, one that has done many CTD's and you won't have a problem with the wait to start light.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You are better off with the aftermarket R/S. You will get much better range then with the factory one.

As for the horn honk during R/S, that is a simple programing option on the audiovox units. You can turn that off if need be.

Some people like just the visual indication, or both visual and audio conformation.

Let me know the model of the audio vox R/S and I will get you the programing directions!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a '06 Regular Cab -any recommondations for aftermarket remote starters? Is the range on the mopar one super short?
Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
what's the rough cost of an oem remote starter between parts and labor?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
My AutoStart is good for 2000 feet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.