DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we replaced the camshaft position sensor (when we pulled the old one off it was melted) We started the truck, there was a little hesitation but it wasn’t terrible, let it run for a little while, it sounded fine, drove it into town about four miles and it died. We towed it home, couple days later my husband went out and reset the Ecm, pulled the fuse out, got in buckled the seat belt, Turned the key to run, waited five or six seconds until he heard the beeps, and then started it, it started up with no problems, and he’s been driving it to and from work, said it’s been running fine other then Monday afternoon as he was leaving work it died, he put it in neutral and it fired right back up. This afternoon he pulled up in the driveway left it running and walked inside, while inside a couple minutes it shut off by itself and now we can’t get it started again. We checked wires, fuses are all good and made sure they were all pushed in good.
I’m at a loss, could it possibly be an issue with whatever caused the camshaft to melt? Has anyone experienced something like this that can give me some advice?

· Red Trucking Admin
3,661 Posts
I’m at a loss, could it possibly be an issue with whatever caused the camshaft to melt? Has anyone experienced something like this that can give me some advice?
Camshaft or camshaft position sensor? If you've melted a cam you've got bigger problems and I'm about to be suitably impressed.

· Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie quad cab 4WD SRW
4 Posts
You never mentioned where you purchased the new Camshaft Position Sensor. If you purchased an aftermarket Camshaft Position Sensor, that may be your problem. For some reason Chrysler products seem to be finicky with aftermarket engine management electrical parts. I've had a few instances where new aftermarket electrical parts would work but not 100%. The latest being the ignition switch. Replaced it with one from O'reilly's Auto and it worked somewhat. Sometimes when you turned the key to the off position, the truck would continue to run. Returned it and purchased one from Napa and the same thing would happen. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one from a dealer online and the ignition switch has been working perfectly for over a year now. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.