DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 ST 4x4 Automatic 4WD.

Was meeting somebody out somewhere to follow them with my truck. Shut the truck off waiting. They pulled in and when I went to start it and I get no crank. I can hear a relay under the hood somewhere clicking. Tested my fuses with a test light. Battery is charged. Alternator is fine. I turned the key back to ON, climbed under and jumped the starter terminals (in Park) with a screw driver. It cranked and cranked but no fire.

On the gear selector (where there typically is a box around whichever gear you are in), ALL GEARS are selected. I put it in reverse with Key On and have no Reverse Lights.

I tried starting it in every gear multiple times, nothing.

I am leaning towards a transmission range switch/neutral safety switch but the (2) I can find are for a 48RE don't match my transmission (which I believe is a 545RFE, looks just like it, none of the other transmission pictures are of what mine is) so I am not even sure which transmission it has.

For what its worth, low mileage truck. Only 55,000 on it. Sat for a while before I bought it but I have been daily driving it for the past year.

Open to any and all suggestions. I know some of you guys really know these trucks inside and out.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 95the selnoid L connection to starter and it rusted and no connection a starter rebuild shop will sell it to you for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is on a 2003 Dodge 2500.
I am having same issue that was was mentioned by DillJ86 but with a few differences. My reverse lights work when I put truck in reverse. If I disconnect the battery all the halos disappear until I try to start the truck and they all reappear around the gear indicator. Had this issue about 2 months ago and somebody mentioned disconnect the battery leads and touch them together for about a minute. I did that and truck has no issues until today. I am getting the same as before. Starter is new and all wiring looks good.
This is on a 2003 Dodge 2500. The transmission I have is the 545RFE. If I disconnect the battery and reset everything, the indicator on dash shows what gear I am in. I also have to hold in the brake when changing the gears. A couple of days ago my parking brake brake light started flashing but I believe that may just be a sensor. It never stopped me from starting truck before.
I am assuming there is a sensor some where stopping it from starting but not sure what sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts