I have the following codes present on my odometer, in the following order:
P0457
P0455
gascap
P0456
P0300
P0306
P0038

I know what the individual codes mean, but trying to narrow down if they all point to one issue or if I'm dealing with multiple issues at once. I do smell gas near the filler tube. The engine shakes and loses power during acceleration. The check engine light is solid one at idle and flashing and pinging during acceleration. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Red Trucker
2,645 Posts
P0457 - EVAP Emission Sys Leak Detected (fuel cap
loose/off)
gascap
P0455 - Evap Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected
P0456 - Evap Leak Monitor Small (0.020) Leak Detected
So these ^^^ are all related with the evaporative emissions system between the engine and tank. "Gascap" is triggered when 0457 is, jut in some newer vehicles you get the actual gascap message instead of it just throwing a code. Either your cap is crapping out or you don't turn it enough clicks (usually). That smell of gas goes withthe large and small leak codes you'r egetting; sounds like somethign broke, which will require close inspection of the major components, of which considering you smell gas I'd start at the filler neck and work down to the tank.

P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0306 - Cylinder #6 Misfire
These ^^^ are your main driveability issue. Have you pulled the coil to pull the spark plug? If the spark plug is good, then switch coils between two different cylinders and see if the problem stays or migrates. If it migrates, then coil. If not, then there is another issue. Could be an injector, could be a valve sealing issue. Could be worse.

P0038 - HO2S Heater Ctrl Circ Hi Bank1 Sens2
This ^^^ is most likely just an O2 sensor failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all of the info. I replaced the gascap and ignition coil on the 6th cylinder and then left the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes. Reconnected the battery and the only code still showing is the P0038 for the oxygen sensor. I drove the truck around the block a couple of times (my block is a mile in each direction). Turned the engine off and back on each time I came past my house. Everything seems to be back to normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the following codes present on my odometer, in the following order:
P0457
P0455
gascap
P0456
P0300
P0306
P0038

I know what the individual codes mean, but trying to narrow down if they all point to one issue or if I'm dealing with multiple issues at once. I do smell gas near the filler tube. The engine shakes and loses power during acceleration. The check engine light is solid one at idle and flashing and pinging during acceleration. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you.
There is a canister underneath some dodge truck for the vent of the fuel tank check it if you have one..dodge has a common problem of the valley pan under the intake leaking causing an error code of large emmision leak and a few others these are the unknown hard to diagnose solutions

·
Red Trucker
2,645 Posts
dodge has a common problem of the valley pan under the intake leaking causing an error code of large emmision leak
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're mistaking his 3.7 V6 for the older 3.9 V6, as the 3.7 doesn't have a "valley pan" under the plastic intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts