DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I enjoy reading all of the knowledge that flows through this site. Thanks for sharing - I've learned a lot. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 liter V8 and a G238 Getrag 6 speed transmission. I really enjoy this truck! I've been having troubles with the throw out bearing, or the clutch release bearing lately. About 3 years ago, my throw out bearing grenaded (it came out in pieces) and so I dropped the trans and replaced the entire clutch assembly. I had owned the truck for about 1.5 years at that point and have no idea if the clutch had been replaced, or was what came from the factory. I also took out the flywheel and had it resurfaced so the new clutch had a fresh surface. About a year after that, one spring (of the two) that holds the throw out bearing onto the clutch arm broke, so the arm was hitting the clutch springs when I would push in the clutch all the way. I got very good at only pushing in the clutch as much as needed to shift and start until I got that replaced. I finally got around to that about 4 months ago (lived with that for about 9 months) and now the throw out bearing is making noises again like it's ready to come apart. It seems this happens after I haul a heavy load. Nothing above what the truck is rated for - the most weight was about 5500 lbs. I was really pleased with how well the truck pulled these loads, but am wondering why the throw out bearing seems to go out after this. I'm pulling a custom cargo trailer that has been in my family for about 30 years - 6 x 12 foot with three foot sides and twin axles (electric brakes on both axles), and I've been using this trailer to clear out my in-laws garage (it had been their storage area for 20 years) and then moving my mother in law out of the house. I've been thing about getting into RV'ing - getting something my half ton can handle, as the engine and trans seemed to pull these loads well, and my kids are getting older so it would be just my wife and I (something like a 25 foot) but I'm really beginning to re-think that. Did I just get a bad clutch assembly kit, or are the throw out bearings really this bad for Dodge trucks using the Getrag trans? See a picture attached of the trailer attached to my pickup - it shows one of my sons tightening the ropes before one of our trips to the dump for reference
Redding Garage Junk Tie Down-1.jpg
. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been doing some research, and I'm not seeing a heavy duty version of a throw out bearing for the G238 trans, so I've been wondering what could cause them to fail. I'm wondering if the input shaft of my trans has some play in it causing my issues with the throw out bearings. I have about 150000 miles on my pickup. At what mileage did you have to have your Getrag rebuilt or replaced?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts