DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, we have a 06 Charger RT Daytona with a 5.7L engine that we’ve been told needs a new engine. Wandering if an 5.7 L engine coming out of a 2016 Dodge Challenger RT would be comparable. Reason I ask is we have access to the engine coming out of a car that was totaled out, all damage being in the rear of the car so engine and tranny etc are in tact . Please any and all advise if this could work would be greatly appreciated.

·
Red Trucker
1,831 Posts
Long story short, we have a 06 Charger RT Daytona with a 5.7L engine that we’ve been told needs a new engine. Wandering if an 5.7 L engine coming out of a 2016 Dodge Challenger RT would be comparable. Reason I ask is we have access to the engine coming out of a car that was totaled out, all damage being in the rear of the car so engine and tranny etc are in tact . Please any and all advise if this could work would be greatly appreciated.
Short answer no. Long answer, the '16 engine has VVT and a different crank wheel, not to mention different tuning, etc. Your PCM is not designed to run that engine. So in order to even try you would need:
1. Harness alterations
2. PCM swap with trying to find someone to flash modules correctly so they talk to the car and engine correctly
3. There may be accessory drive differences
4. Eagle intake has the fuel inlet on the opposite side so you would need the crossover line to mate it with your existing fuel system
5. Probably more things I haven't listed

Can it be done? Yes. Are you going to really pay for it (probably more than it's worth)? Also yes. Much easier route (if you're trying to get it back on the road) is get the engine rebuilt, buy a rebuild (most times these come with warranties) of find a used 05-08 5.7 from a 300, Magnum or Charger. Truck engines from 03-08 can be used but they require front cover, oil pan, etc changes to drop them in an LX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.