DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I think I broke the front shock, its on the passenger side but it doesn't look like the drivers side. I attached a picture, but how easy a fix is this? Could I replace with a quick strut?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The photo is good, but the angle of the pic makes me worry that somebody removed the nut that clamps the strut cap to the rod. Sometimes the cap rots around the nut and you get the same thing. Regardless, it looks like it's had some time to chew on itself. Yes, you can replace it with a quick strut, but removing the old one might be pretty dangerous. That spring will likely still have some spring tension on it even after lifting the wheels off the ground. I've almost lost my digits once or twice in situations like this. I encourage you to let a professional deal with this one. The best way to deal with it is to use an acetylene torch to cut the spring into a few pieces so there's no spring tension left when trying to pull that old strut out. Also let your mechanic replace both front struts at the same time. Pairing a new strut with an old one has the potential to make for a bad ride.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts