DodgeTalk Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you see the attached video? Also, I will get back to you sometime this weekend. I will pull the valve covers off and inspect....
Yea,the frequency is indicating a flat hydraulic lifter, BUT, I'm assuming the audio sound amplitude,of the ticking-noise,on your engine, is considerably LESS !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea,the frequency is indicating a flat hydraulic lifter, BUT, I'm assuming the audio sound amplitude,of the ticking-noise,on your engine, is considerably LESS !
It is much quieter than the video makes it out to be. Although, it does have quite a twang through the exhaust ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So this weekend I plan on replacing the phaser, because I have narrowed the sound down to the front side of the passenger side valve cover. It seems the absolute loudest right there. It may or may not fix the issue, but it seems to be a good idea to replace it because it’s the factory phaser/sprocket. What is your opinion? Sounds almost identical to the Ford Tritons phaser knock they produce.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So this weekend I plan on replacing the phaser, because I have narrowed the sound down to the front side of the passenger side valve cover. It seems the absolute loudest right there. It may or may not fix the issue, but it seems to be a good idea to replace it because it’s the factory phaser/sprocket. What is your opinion? Sounds almost identical to the Ford Tritons phaser knock they produce.
Realtree4.7, Would you put the VIN# number in an entry. Just double checking model/engine designation. my ALLdata references NO phaser. I'm looking at a "N" engine. Happy Thanksgiving Mongoman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Realtree4.7,your hunch,about being incorrect about the nomenclature, that this is a part of a phasor(used in VVT variable valve timing)is affirmative.This part is mounted on the RHS cam(passenger-side) ,with the NGC Cam sensor wheel used to initiate a square wave signal to the PCM for cylinder identification and sequencing and there are no moving parts.This is a "N",4.7L engine,there is no variable valve timing components. I would find it highly unlikely that this is where the audible ticking noise is emanating from. Focus on removing the valve covers and doing a visual inspection of the oscillating rocker arm and lifters.One at a time. Keep it simple.The hydraulic lifter that is not pumped up FIRM is a likely culprit.I believe that the rocker arms are easy enough to slide out of the way to make a thorough physical inspection of the rocker arm contact points and the lifters. Once you have the valve covers removed take two or three detailed pictures and up load onto the site. I'm pretty sure that youtube has a few videos on doing this task. Also,using a strong flashlight, if it's possible,take a good look at the accessible timing chain areas ,without doing any disassembly.Most important!!,pay close attention to NOT leaving any tools or parts in the patient. Once you have eliminated the obvious,try the unlikely.Hope this helps Mongoman

Reactions: Realtree4.7

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Realtree4.7,your hunch,about being incorrect about the nomenclature, that this is a part of a phasor(used in VVT variable valve timing)is affirmative.This part is mounted on the RHS cam(passenger-side) ,with the NGC Cam sensor wheel used to initiate a square wave signal to the PCM for cylinder identification and sequencing and there are no moving parts.This is a "N",4.7L engine,there is no variable valve timing components. I would find it highly unlikely that this is where the audible ticking noise is emanating from. Focus on removing the valve covers and doing a visual inspection of the oscillating rocker arm and lifters.One at a time. Keep it simple.The hydraulic lifter that is not pumped up FIRM is a likely culprit.I believe that the rocker arms are easy enough to slide out of the way to make a thorough physical inspection of the rocker arm contact points and the lifters. Once you have the valve covers removed take two or three detailed pictures and up load onto the site. I'm pretty sure that youtube has a few videos on doing this task. Also,using a strong flashlight, if it's possible,take a good look at the accessible timing chain areas ,without doing any disassembly.Most important!!,pay close attention to NOT leaving any tools or parts in the patient. Once you have eliminated the obvious,try the unlikely.Hope this helps Mongoman
Sounds good! I will do that. Tonight I’m gonna start taking her apart.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Realtree4.7, I have looked at the cam lobes in the pictures.At first the lobes appear to have a worn/ ground area in the center circumferential area of the lobes. Is this unpolished center area “ rough”,like it had a grinder action on it? I have seen discoloration of cam lobes, that are a brownish color,but not a loss of polished surface. These look like there has been little on no lubricant (oil) on the cams. There was an upgrade to these engines that improved the oil circulation on the top end. I believe it had to do with the size of the holes in the rocker arms. I have never seen a pattern on the cam-lobes,like the ones in the pictures. I can’t imagine that the manufacturer designed the cams this way..Is there a coolant issue,where it’s been mixing with the oil on this engine? Mongoman

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is weird,?? I’m going to research the causes and possible repair actions. Mongoman

·
Registered
87 Posts
As I enlarge and look at the rocker arms ,the ball-pivot-end that sits on top of the hydraulic lifter bulbous-end should have a "very small ",oil-squirt-port, that points to the rocker arm "rolling-wheel".This is the newer upgrade that directs oil to the rocker arm "rolling-wheel". From what I can tell this is what is installed,by just looking at the pictures. The camshafts can be replaced without having to remove the front timing cover,by inserting the special wedge tool,to keep internal tensioners from popping-out. By removing the rocker arms and do a physical inspection of each one, can the serviceability be determined. As for the hydraulic lifters, the firmness,by depressing the stem end, of each lifter is a good telltale in determining serviceability. However,if you are not doing this repair yourself,for many reasons, and are pay an experienced technician/mechanic to perform the task,only once,,new-serviceable-parts, will probably be required. A mastertech with experience in these 3.7/4.7 engines could probably explain why the cam lobe faces are so deteriorated,(and I would like to know myself). I've now seen videos of these engine/camshaft where there is a slight tracking discoloration on the camshaft lobes,at the edges,but the lobe hardening was still intact. These are my thoughts on this "ticking". I hope that they have helped. Please keep us updated as to your endeavors and success in this project.Thanks ,Mongoman in Albuquerque

21 - 34 of 34 Posts