DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any answers as to what the ticking noise is? Lifters, timing kit, and injector kill test have all been done. Noise persists. Help!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
How many miles? Could be time to replace the timing chains, I just did mine at 225k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles? Could be time to replace the timing chains, I just did mine at 225k.
Was just done a couple of weeks ago.... was the full kit. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what this god awful noise is. Its not extremely loud and goes away around 1300 rpm....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Realtree4.7, is there fan belts or on big serpentine belt? Disconnecting the component drive belt one at a time will eliminate the potential causes of the ticking.Also is the ticking sound closer to camshaft rpm speed or crankshaft speed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was just done a couple of weeks ago.... was the full kit. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what this god awful noise is. Its not extremely loud and goes away around 1300 rpm....
Could be the lash adjusters(lifters) if the seals go bad in them, they won’t hold the pressure needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Realtree4.7, is there fan belts or on big serpentine belt? Disconnecting the component drive belt one at a time will eliminate the potential causes of the ticking.Also is the ticking sound closer to camshaft rpm speed or crankshaft speed?
I’m thinking closer to the cam... what would be the cause of each? Cam and crank...? And it’s a big serpentine...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’m thinking closer to the cam... what would be the cause of each? Cam and crank...? And it’s a big serpentine...
Going from the known to the unknown...... take the serpentine belt OFF. Run the engine for five minutes. If the noise is gone then it’s a component that’s being driven by the serpentine belt causing the ticking. IF the noise is still present ,use a mechanics steth to help locate the area of the ticking.This technique is a definite direction pointin/ troubleshooting procedure. Get back to us after you’ve done this step. Momgoman

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To follow up on this thread, I’ve taken the truck to a local auto shop. They were saying the potential cause of the noise could be a valve spring, loose rocker, and the camshaft phaser. What does anyone think? It’s definitely top end because it goes away with rpm. I wouldn’t suspect a rod. It’s been driven with the tick for the last 10 years. Has slightly gotten louder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, it is in time with the overhead cams... the ticking has sort of a “tinny” sound. I’ve isolated it, and the loudest point is the front of the passenger bank. Absolute loudest near the water pump.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To follow up on this thread, I’ve taken the truck to a local auto shop. They were saying the potential cause of the noise could be a valve spring, loose rocker, and the camshaft phaser. What does anyone think? It’s definitely top end because it goes away with rpm. I wouldn’t suspect a rod. It’s been driven with the tick for the last 10 years. Has slightly gotten louder.
Has anyone physically removed the serpentine belt ,and run the engine, to verify or eliminate the belt driven components ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone physically removed the serpentine belt ,and run the engine, to verify or eliminate the belt driven components ?
Yes, I have indeed pulled the belt. It is not a belt driven accessory. I’ve pulled the coil wires one at a time and the noise generally persists.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I have indeed pulled the belt. It is not a belt driven accessory. I’ve pulled the coil wires one at a time and the noise generally persists.
Realtree4.7.In your quest to retain your sanity,you have reached a point of visual investigation.Time to look under the valve covers and systematically inspect the rotating items related to cam (rpm) speed. But before you start,question,when you say you did the full "kit",would you expound ,in detail,the parts that were replaced,or inspected,deemed serviceable and reinstalled. If the kit has a model/part number that would be helpful. Is the oil level correct? Oil pressure is important, has a direct oil pressure been determined? does this engine have low/marginal oil pressure?Are you running the correct viscosity of oil? Does this engine "smoke",ie.from worn valve guides? Has regular oil changes been a part of the routine maintenance regime? Is the top of the cylinder head in the rocker arm area full of carbon-sludge? Something is worn or has excessive clearance. Also how many miles on the odometer? Is this the original timing chain setup/configuration? Get back to me. Mongoman in Albuquerque

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Realtree4.7.In your quest to retain your sanity,you have reached a point of visual investigation.Time to look under the valve covers and systematically inspect the rotating items related to cam (rpm) speed. But before you start,question,when you say you did the full "kit",would you expound ,in detail,the parts that were replaced,or inspected,deemed serviceable and reinstalled. If the kit has a model/part number that would be helpful. Is the oil level correct? Oil pressure is important, has a direct oil pressure been determined? does this engine have low/marginal oil pressure?Are you running the correct viscosity of oil? Does this engine "smoke",ie.from worn valve guides? Has regular oil changes been a part of the routine maintenance regime? Is the top of the cylinder head in the rocker arm area full of carbon-sludge? Something is worn or has excessive clearance. Also how many miles on the odometer? Is this the original timing chain setup/configuration? Get back to me. Mongoman in Albuquerque
The local auto shop did the timing chain kit. I’ve recently found out that they did NOT do the cam sprockets. The engine does not smoke, and I am running Mobil 1 10w-30. This weekend I plan on pulling the valve covers. Oil is changed always before expected mileage. We have 150k on the clock. Oil pressure at idle is 46psi and at rev it doesn’t fluctuate much.. maybe a few .2-.4 psi

·
Registered
87 Posts
very cool,good maintenance, thank you, I will assume that the oil-pressure tensioners and chain sliders were replaced as part of the kit. Not replacing the cam sprockets,does not bring any alarms/no problemo! Was the ticking noise still audible after this repair? are the hydraulic lifters original? Does this engine have any racing modifications to the top-end ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
very cool,good maintenance, thank you, I will assume that the oil-pressure tensioners and chain sliders were replaced as part of the kit. Not replacing the cam sprockets,does not bring any alarms/no problemo! Was the ticking noise still audible after this repair? are the hydraulic lifters original? Does this engine have any racing modifications to the top-end ?
Yes, the ticking remained. To further this, now that I have a little time, I will create a full compilation for you of issues, past and present, repairs and other work. About 4 years ago, I had the oil pump replaced. After that, the ticking seemed to have gotten a little louder. As time has gone by, I got two codes, a pinhole in the filler neck, and an emissions code. Then recently, at a different auto shop, I had the top of the piston heads cleaned, as number 5 had quite a bit of carbon, and some slight markings on the piston head. I thought maybe it was a valve tapping, but after the carbon was removed and the engine ran we ended up going in with the boroscope again to ensure there was no valve tap. There was not any marks, because there were only marks in the carbon residue. All 16 lifters, timing chain, and spark plugs have been changed. I’m thinking it could potentially be a valve spring.... or possibly a worn cam lobe because the noise isn’t consistent. The noise is only audible at 800-1000 rpm. After that it’s gone. Highway speeds it sounds great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, the ticking remained. To further this, now that I have a little time, I will create a full compilation for you of issues, past and present, repairs and other work. About 4 years ago, I had the oil pump replaced. After that, the ticking seemed to have gotten a little louder. As time has gone by, I got two codes, a pinhole in the filler neck, and an emissions code. Then recently, at a different auto shop, I had the top of the piston heads cleaned, as number 5 had quite a bit of carbon, and some slight markings on the piston head. I thought maybe it was a valve tapping, but after the carbon was removed and the engine ran we ended up going in with the boroscope again to ensure there was no valve tap. There was not any marks, because there were only marks in the carbon residue. All 16 lifters, timing chain, and spark plugs have been changed. I’m thinking it could potentially be a valve spring.... or possibly a worn cam lobe because the noise isn’t consistent. The noise is only audible at 800-1000 rpm. After that it’s gone. Highway speeds it sounds great.
Wow....... time to look at the rocker arms/springs. On You Tube, I was looking at the upgraded rocker arms associated with the 4.7L. Worn-cam/unlikely, worn rocker arm at ball-pivot point in contact with Hydraulic lifter/possible, soft-lifter that is not firm/likely, broken spring/possibly. Take of the covers and one valve at a time look for evidence of abnormal wear. Turn the engine over by hand-slowly and listen-closely. If you have to remove the plugs-so be it. Send some pictures that show detail. I'll help you as much as my as I can. Mongoman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow....... time to look at the rocker arms/springs. On You Tube, I was looking at the upgraded rocker arms associated with the 4.7L. Worn-cam/unlikely, worn rocker arm at ball-pivot point in contact with Hydraulic lifter/possible, soft-lifter that is not firm/likely, broken spring/possibly. Take of the covers and one valve at a time look for evidence of abnormal wear. Turn the engine over by hand-slowly and listen-closely. If you have to remove the plugs-so be it. Send some pictures that show detail. I'll help you as much as my as I can. Mongoman
Is it possible for you to send a video with audio of this "ticking" .Abouts 30 seconds long. ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it possible for you to send a video with audio of this "ticking" .Abouts 30 seconds long. ??
Did you see the attached video? Also, I will get back to you sometime this weekend. I will pull the valve covers off and inspect....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts