DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no emergency brake after setting it on a steep hill , and taking off up it. It made a loud noise like a gear braking and then now it just grinds. I pulled off the caliper assembly but could not get the rotor off.(??) I can see a piece of brake spring looking metal sticking out from behind the backing plate. The plate itself is banged up too. Brakes and rotor look great.
I am guessing there is some sort of a drum brake inside the rotor????? or something to that effect used for the emergency brake?? Doesnt seem like a good system. That little tiny brake stopping 7000 lbs in an emergency???
Anyways, is this a common problem with these? I cant find any info on it. I have it sceduled to go into the dealer tomorrow , was just curious.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Yes, there's a drum like brake inside the rotor. First time I heard of this with the massive AAM axles.

MikeyB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, well, the bill was just short of 600 bucks. They had to replace the rotor, backing plate, cable and the entire emergency drum brake system,.
They dont know what caused it, they think it was ice froze the pads to the drum, their best guess. I only have 55000 miles on it,(only had 36,000 mile warranty in 06) I sure hope it doesnt go out again , and I hope it works if I ever need it for an emergency. Only the 1 rear is the emergency brake for the whole truck. Doesnt seem like enough for a truck that heavy...oh well.
But they did offer to let me take it after they got all of the old parts off of it, said I could use it , just no E-brake. I didnt figure that was a good idea with a 6 sp. If I had Park, maybe.....lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.