DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Haven't posted on here for awhile. Anywho I have a 06' 1500 quad cab Laramie with the 20" wheels,the anti slip and I believe, 2.92 gearing? Correct me if I'm wrong. I know the towing capacity is 9100lbs. Does it drop 1,000lbs with the 20"s? I am wanting to know because I want to get like a 23ft toyhauler. How bad will the load kill my Hemi? It's 9,000 GVWR. But it won't be that loaded, probably only like 3-4 quads in it. I need a diesel but I am not taking the trade in robbery they offer me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grey........

·
15,912 Posts
Hey Grey,

First let me say Welcome to DT. Second...Where did you get the 9100LB Towing Capacity?

From the guide I attached below...which is an industry standard....I get the following capacities:

1500 QC w/20" wheels 5spd Auto 3.92 gears(not 2.92) 2wd - 7650lbs
1500 QC w/20" wheels 5spd Auto 3.92 gears 4wd - 7400lbs

Those are for 20" Wheels...change to 17" wheels and the numbers change to the following:

Same as above 2wd 17" wheels - 8700lbs
Same as above 4wd 17" wheels - 8500lbs

These numbers are significantly different than the one you came up with. BUT those are the numbers. You need to look into getting a different toy hauler or a different truck. Sorry for the bad news. :(

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Attachments

·
Remeber 9/11
324 Posts
Grey,
That 9000 lbs is the weight that your trailer can handle. What is the dry weight. It should be listed in the trailer. I'm guessing its going to be 6000lbs becasue of the length and the 9000lbs capacity. Then there are the quads. 4X4's ? 600-800lbs a piece! Your going to be over. The best advice I could give is to get the trailer weighted empty. Your quads dry weight could be found on the manufactures web site. This will give you a good idea on where you stand. You could get a set of 17in take offs for about $500 on craigslist if you spend some time looking and negotiating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are sport quads, 06' TRX 511, and a 07 Raptor 700. Anyway, I have found lite haulers, but for the money it just seems like a 23-25 footer is what I need. I think I am going to wait until I can trade in for a diesel and go all the way, so I can get a hauler that will work for me, and I don't have to worry about frying my tranny. Even if I found a hauler under the towing capacity for my Hemi it seems like it would still be so much strain on the beast. I mean it pulls my 21' boat fine, but other than that I think a hauler is a lot to ask.

Grey.......

·
They call me Fred???
530 Posts
That 9000 GVWR is the maximum weight of the trailer and cargo it means nothing to what you want to use it for. So if the trailer itself weighs in at 3000 pounds, then it can hold 6000 pounds of stuff. Now if you are wanting to put up to 4 quads in it, then you can figure 500 pounds a peice (roughly). Even if your trailer was 3000 pounds dry, you put four quads in it plus a few tools and gas, you should weigh in at less than 5500 pounds gross trailer weight and it won't be a problem. You could pull that kind of weight around all day long.

Just double check the dry weight of the trailer you want (they all have it stamped on them, or spec'd online) and add all of the items you want to put in it. Do the math and you're golden.

Push comes to shove, if you get a bigger truck later, you can pull more stuff in the same trailer.

·
Remeber 9/11
324 Posts
In 2006 Dodge changed the 20inch rims and there is no longer a differece between towing with the 17inch or 20 inch wheels. Trailer life has a difference listed but not Dodge. Here is the link; http://www-5.dodge.com/towing5/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp If you change the year to 2005 or older there is a differnce, but for 06 there isn't.

·
Fromunda
733 Posts
Bduece said:
In 2006 Dodge changed the 20inch rims and there is no longer a differece between towing with the 17inch or 20 inch wheels. Trailer life has a difference listed but not Dodge. Here is the link; http://www-5.dodge.com/towing5/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp If you change the year to 2005 or older there is a differnce, but for 06 there isn't.
That link should be a sticky!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bduece said:
In 2006 Dodge changed the 20inch rims and there is no longer a differece between towing with the 17inch or 20 inch wheels. Trailer life has a difference listed but not Dodge. Here is the link; If you change the year to 2005 or older there is a differnce, but for 06 there isn't.
Cool, mine's an 04 but my 20's are from an 06 or newer. That makes me feel a little better about towing my 6800lbs camper :rck: . I thought about ditching the 20's but then I thought about how cool they looked and decided just to live with it

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bduece, do you have a link with the 2007 towing information. The reason I ask is there was a link on Dodge's web site last year that showed the towing capacity of my truck being reduced from 8,500 LBS. to 7,400 LBS. because I have the 20 inch rims. I can't find the link now. A guy I work with printed it out, but he doesn't remember what he did with it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Never mind. Just for the heck of it I called my dealer. Gave him all my info (07 1500 QC short box, 4x4, Hemi, 3:92's w/ 20's) and he told me my towing capacity was 8,500 LBS. He said the same thing that Bduece said. 2006, 07 and 08 aren't effected by the 20 inch rims. He said there was a change on the Hemi engine for the 06 model year and up. I didn't have time to ask him what the change was. I had to take another call. Anyone know what change he might have been talking about?

Thanks for the info Bduece. I thought I was limited to 7,400 LBS.

·
mope
531 Posts
How does it pull it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mope said:
How does it pull it?
I won't lie and say "I don't know it's back there" but it still tows very well. Money invested in a good load distribution hitch and sway control is money well spent. I'm running the on the ragged edge of my "max tow" weight when it's fully loaded. I'll have to step up a little when it's time to replace the truck. But overall my 1500 does very good.

·
mope
531 Posts
Thats good to hear. I've heard that a w.d. hitch can really help. Nice looking setup.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
we have a 26 foot toy hauler with no slides and it weighs dry at 7000lbs. i can only hold maybe 2 quads in it and it was at my trucks limit on towing it.

·
mope
531 Posts
Thats a heck of a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton. It'd even make a diesel puff a little smoke.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts