DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Ram 1500 stalls in idle, and whenever I stop. Was getting camshaft position sensor error code. Changed out Camshaft sensor twice, crankshaft sensor, TPS, oil pressure switch, pcv valve, sparkplugs, coil packs, a new ECM programmed to my VIN, & even changed the oil. Apparently this happens with these Rams often. Does anyone have a legit fix for this intermittent stalling?

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
* EDIT* It seems you have 2 identical post... LOL

I am not sure what happened to my initial response posted 6 days ago.... It seems to have been removed. So I will make another attempt to answer your question...

Are you still getting cam position sensor codes? If you are getting a code for either the cam or crank positioning and changing the sensors did not fix the problem, then you should pull the front timing cover and examine the crank snout woodruff key, particularly the portion that extends into the timing gear sprocket. The 4.7L is a GREAT engine however does have a bad design with this key as it has a small tab that sticks out to the back that is responsible for driving the timing gear. Now the gear is also driven by the compression/torque of the balancer to turn it which is supposed to be the primary means of turning the timing gear. However If the balancer is not torqued properly effectively compressing the back side of the balancer against the crank timing sprocket, or if the balancer comes lose for any reason or is just not reinstalled and torqued properly, the small ass tab protruding from the woodruff key is all that is turning your entire timing set... Crank, idler, two cams... with a very small weak tab.

As the tab begins to break off, it starts to throw codes... IF IT succeeds on breaking off, you end up with a heck of a lot of expensive head damage.

When building 4.7L engines, we have always removed the weak tab and then drill a hole in the crank at that position and installed a dowel in to drive the timing gear. Its a cheap permanent fix to a very bad design.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM PERFORMANCE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts