DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 2.4L sedan stratus that starts to overheat after driving for about 30 minutes. It appears that some of the coolant flows into the overflow tank and when I get into a stop-n-go traffic, the engine doesn't cool off even with the fan running. I've replaced the radiator (after market), water pump (after market), heater core, thermostat and housing (OEM), radiator cap (OEM), temp sensor, hoses and am still having the problem. The coolant is flowing while idling and is clean. The engine cools once the car starts moving but after travelling 200 miles or so, there's not enough coolant in the cooling system to cool the engine and I need to stop the car and pump the coolant from the overflow tank back into the radiator. I have checked the transmission and oil fluid levels and they are fine and clean. There are no leaks and the coolant level is at the rim when I remove the radiator cap with a cold engine (i.e. the coolant from the overflow tank is sucked back into the radiator when the engine cools) Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Is it possible that the aftermarket water pump is not providing sufficient circulation while driving causing the coolant to overheat and flow into the overflow tank?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 05 stratus w/2.4L that just put new water pump in and thermostat and temp sensor still overheating but reads normal. As soon as shut off can hear bubbling in resivour/lines I have bled coolant system bleeder. I'm starting to think it's a head problem. What did you find out with yours?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing yet. I'm starting to think it's also a head or catalytic converter issue although all the fluids look clean and no white smoke. I also don't loose any radiator fluid. I replaced my water pump again with an OEM (Mopar) water pump but it only made a minor difference. I'll be taking my car into a mechanic soon. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the temp gauge in the car reads normal but you hear bubbling into the reservoir, you may want to replace the radiator cap. I had to use the OEM (Mopar) radiator cap because the after market caps from Autozone and AdvanceAutoParts didn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the temp gauge in the car reads normal but you hear bubbling into the reservoir, you may want to replace the radiator cap. I had to use the OEM (Mopar) radiator cap because the after market caps from Autozone and AdvanceAutoParts didn't work.
I just got my head serviced and reinstalled with new gaskets. I should know if the head job takes care of the overheating problem in a few days. Have you done anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got my head serviced and reinstalled with new gaskets. I should know if the head job takes care of the overheating problem in a few days. Have you done anything?
It looks like resurfacing and cleaning the head took care of the overheating problem. So far I've driving the car for about 150 miles and in some stop 'n go traffic with no problems. The temp gauge on the dash hardly moves. The head and the top of the cylinders had lots of carbon buildup. I suspect that the carbon buildup on both the head and cylinder prevented the dissipation of heat and caused the engine to overheat while stuck in stop 'n go traffic. The carbon buildup on the cylinders were removed using lots of WD40 and scraping and scrubbing using the scotch kitchen pads (I used the green ones). When scraping, avoid scratching/gouging the surface of the cylinders. The head was cleaned at a machine shop. I also had them perform a valve pressure test. You'll have to remove the exhaust manifold on this car. Removing the bolts connecting the catalytic converter to the exhaust manifold was the most difficult part of this job. My bolts were really rusted and broke. I installed a new exhaust manifold because mine had a crack in it. I purchased mine on ebay for $125 plus tax. (free shipping). I. hope this helps anyone with the same or similar problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts