DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all. hoping to find the answer to my question, I have found a bit of info searching but not the definitive answer I am seeking.
Have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT that grenade d its transmission. dropped the pan and found like three handfuls of shredded metal/needle bearings and the works
so it is def shot.
I am looking for a transmission for it used from a yard but every yard asks if it has traction control and it does and say they don't have a matching transmission.
what is the rationale for this and can I use an 05-06 trans from a 3.8 liter caravan or town and country that did NOT have traction control and if I did do I have to swap in anything?
I have found a lot of way nicer looking trans from 3.8 without traction control and better prices too.
I cant verify if it matters or not but it is weird that every yard asks but cant tell me why it matters.
any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get mom's van back on the road and I don't want to order the wrong part but also dont
want to settle for a substandard one with TC if I can use a cheaper lesser miles one from a van that does not have it.
look forward to any help the forum can offer, thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had to do something similar with a Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission once. I'd look at salvage yard inventory on car-part.com and they'd only list other 09s as compatible. I did my own research to find that they were all interchangeable from 2008 through 2013. I talked to a couple of guys that worked at the salvage yards that had my transmission and they said their catalog information is from a third party source and they've had growing problems not knowing what they could or couldn't sell interchangeably as model years get newer. For the time it took me to figure out interchangeable years for one transmission, you can't fault them for not trying to find out either.

I used to have 25 Caravans to work on in a taxi fleet, but that was ten years ago already. I don't recall ever fussing about swapping any of those transmissions between the span of the 01-07 generation. Seeing as I could easily be wrong, I did some other research. I pulled up the Jasper engine website and checked their personal part numbers for 04-07 model years of Grand Caravans. Jasper did show different transmission part numbers depending on whether you have a 3.3 or 3.8 engine. However, they only offered one part number for 04-06 41TE transmissions behind a 3.8 engine and they did not ask if it had traction control. I didn't understand why the trans would be different between 3.3 and 3.8's. They both still use 41TE's. I thought the difference might be torque converters, but Rock Auto lists the same torque converter for all V6 engines. As a secondary research method, I went through the OE wiring diagrams and saw nothing in the transmission, ABS, or traction control system that suggested there was a difference between a traction and non traction control system affecting the transmission.

I'm not willing to research any more than I have and I can't guarantee what I did find is 100%. But for what I can tell, any transmission that came off an 04-06 Caravan with a 3.8 engine will work. Whatever happens next is at your own risk. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to do something similar with a Mitsubishi Outlander CVT transmission once. I'd look at salvage yard inventory on car-part.com and they'd only list other 09s as compatible. I did my own research to find that they were all interchangeable from 2008 through 2013. I talked to a couple of guys that worked at the salvage yards that had my transmission and they said their catalog information is from a third party source and they've had growing problems not knowing what they could or couldn't sell interchangeably as model years get newer. For the time it took me to figure out interchangeable years for one transmission, you can't fault them for not trying to find out either.

I used to have 25 Caravans to work on in a taxi fleet, but that was ten years ago already. I don't recall ever fussing about swapping any of those transmissions between the span of the 01-07 generation. Seeing as I could easily be wrong, I did some other research. I pulled up the Jasper engine website and checked their personal part numbers for 04-07 model years of Grand Caravans. Jasper did show different transmission part numbers depending on whether you have a 3.3 or 3.8 engine. However, they only offered one part number for 04-06 41TE transmissions behind a 3.8 engine and they did not ask if it had traction control. I didn't understand why the trans would be different between 3.3 and 3.8's. They both still use 41TE's. I thought the difference might be torque converters, but Rock Auto lists the same torque converter for all V6 engines. As a secondary research method, I went through the OE wiring diagrams and saw nothing in the transmission, ABS, or traction control system that suggested there was a difference between a traction and non traction control system affecting the transmission.

I'm not willing to research any more than I have and I can't guarantee what I did find is 100%. But for what I can tell, any transmission that came off an 04-06 Caravan with a 3.8 engine will work. Whatever happens next is at your own risk. Good luck.
Man thanks a bunch for the advice. I could not remember my login so I used this one. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I feel way more confident now with the selection of a transmission. Learned some tips on how to match parts too. Thanks again will advise how it goes as I install it

·
Registered
626 Posts
Supposedly the only difference in 3.3 and 3.8 is the final gearing btw
That is good to know.

There's one more thing you might (?) be able to do for yourself and that's to look at a potential donor vehicle and compare the harnesses & connectors and even pay attention to wire colors, positions, and total quantity of wires at each connector. Off the top of my head, I can recall the CKP sensor will be on the right side of the bell housing. The ISS and OSS sensors will parallel each other horizontally over the solenoid pack and all three are down the front of the case facing the radiator. What I can't recall, is what kind of harnesses are sitting under the battery tray. There would have to be a harness for a shift position/range sensor, but I can't remember if there would be one more just around the corner from it and what it would do. I could be mistaking it for a connector to an O2 sensor. At any rate, it's potentially one last failsafe before you pull the trigger.

After typing all that up, I can't think of why the traction control would need to add something to this. It already has everything it needs for inputs and outputs on the transmission and the TCM can already freely transmit any data other systems need on the SCI bus. In my mind, the only thing that would need to be different is in the software/programming.

If you find out that there is a difference that makes them incompatible, please share with the rest of us. My brain is going to chew on this for a long time otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is good to know.

There's one more thing you might (?) be able to do for yourself and that's to look at a potential donor vehicle and compare the harnesses & connectors and even pay attention to wire colors, positions, and total quantity of wires at each connector. Off the top of my head, I can recall the CKP sensor will be on the right side of the bell housing. The ISS and OSS sensors will parallel each other horizontally over the solenoid pack and all three are down the front of the case facing the radiator. What I can't recall, is what kind of harnesses are sitting under the battery tray. There would have to be a harness for a shift position/range sensor, but I can't remember if there would be one more just around the corner from it and what it would do. I could be mistaking it for a connector to an O2 sensor. At any rate, it's potentially one last failsafe before you pull the trigger.

After typing all that up, I can't think of why the traction control would need to add something to this. It already has everything it needs for inputs and outputs on the transmission and the TCM can already freely transmit any data other systems need on the SCI bus. In my mind, the only thing that would need to be different is in the software/programming.

If you find out that there is a difference that makes them incompatible, please share with the rest of us. My brain is going to chew on this for a long time otherwise.
Haha will do. I promise to report back with the results. Thanks for the information. I should be getting it within the week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts