DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
this is my first post to this site, but I figure I might as well ask someone who has experienced it.
Here's my dillema, I have a 2005 Ram 4x4 SLT with 265/70/17 Goodyear tires which REALLY suck in the snow. I have the opportunity to UPGRADE my tires to BFG T/A KO 285/70/17.
My question is, will these tires fit without adjusting the torsion bars ? I can get the 265/70/17 BFG T/A KO's but the tire retailer told me that they're on backorder NATIONWIDE for at least 4 to six weeks.
I don't want to go with any other tire but if the 285/70/17 won't fit, I will wait.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

·
Registered
82 Posts
You won't have any problems fitting 285/70/17 tires on a stock truck. The stock 20" rims have 33's (more or less the same as 285/70/17) on them so no issues there.

·
Are we going down?
787 Posts
Just installed some bfg ko's 285/70/17 on my rig yesterday, I was running goodyear wrangler's 275/70/17. You'll have no problems and they look great too. :D
And welcome to DT

·
MORE! MORE! MORE!
2,914 Posts
Bad Bobby said:
I'm running the BFG 315s with no problems.
I second that. Only did a little t-bar crank to level the truck out. You will have no problem with 285's.

Nick

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Yes.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
The approved rim width for a 285/70/17 is 7.5"-9", according to Goodyear. The tire you are looking at is a BF Goodrich, but tires all have standardized ratings, so the brand shouldn't matter.
Stock chrome 17" rims are 8" wide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The approved rim width for a 285/70/17 is 7.5"-9", according to Goodyear. The tire you are looking at is a BF Goodrich, but tires all have standardized ratings, so the brand shouldn't matter.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
No problem. I've actually looked into this size myself. When I wear out my stock tires, I want to go bigger, but not too big. I think the 285's are exactly what I'm looking for (I'm looking at the Goodyear MT/r).

By the way... Welcome to Dodgetalk.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im going to run 285s when my stock 245s are played out (Spring). My truck looks 2WD with the 245s on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw this post and I'm in the same dilemma..I have the 265/70/17's on my truck now and they've got 40K on them..I want to move up to the 285's but put them on the Dick Cepic DC1 wheel that only comes in 17x9. I know the stock rim is 17x8 with a 5 1/2 in. backspacing. Since the new wheel is 1 in. bigger should I only get the 5" backspacing with the 285 to make sure there's no clearance issues? Also can anyone recommend a good front end leveling kit for my 04 1500 QC 4x4? Just so the 285s look norma? Oh yeah, does anyone have the 40 series Delta Flows or 50 series SUV Flowmasters on their trucks? Don't want obnoxious noise but a nice low grumble and not ear blasting when accellerating but noticeable over stock...Thanks all for the help and this site has been great with answers. You all rock :rck:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts