DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just replaced the motor last summer. yesterday, as I pulled into the drive the tranny started acting up. its very jerky in any gear going in any direction except neutral and part, and when I let off the gas it feels as tho I have applied the brakes. which I checked. breaks are not hanging up. it feels as tho its in both drive and reverse at the same time. I plan on changing the fluid and filter in the next few days and checking the shift valve itself, ( I am assuming its like the gm 440 tranny which I have tons of knowledge with ). are there any selinoids or something like that that I can check with a volt meter or feeler gages or a dial indicator? from what I have read thus far these are very good trannys and junkyards around here don't really keep them because they don't get any calls for them. the fluid level is fine and looks nice and bright, not dark at all. I am hoping it just has a clogged filter. 97K miles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I checked all the brakes today just to make sure it wasn't actually a caliper hanging up and all brakes are good. also checked all the wiring as best I could since I did after all put a new motor in last year. even ran it while it was on the jack stands to see what would happen. it ran fine so I am at a loss right now. ran it thru all the gears up to 70 MPH and reverse. then it started to rain so I got put on hold for the filter change. the car is in great shape and been paid off for 3 years now so I am trying to decide weather I should just go out and get a boneyard tranny for it if the filter change don't work. it looks fairly straight forward and not all that difficult to do. if its as easy as the motor can't go wrong! lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does feel like its in 2 gears and clutchs are slipping. my daughter was with me when it went out and she told me that was what it had done to her about a year ago but it didn't do it to me, and I did notice that after I arrived at work, it would kind of roll a little bit when I shut it down. we had it up on a lift today and it does not shift so I think your right. I am going to replace the selinoid pack if its cheap enough just to get it going and start looking at trading it in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, changed the Solenoid pack and it didn't help at all. still have the same issue. not sure what to try at this point

the only codes that auto zone found were the dreaded leak in evap system, and even that's gone as I disconnected the battery.my son seems to think the breaks are hanging up so I am going to pull the front calipers off and hang them with a piece of wood between the pistons and see if that stops the issue. the tranny did not go into limp mod, shifted fine for 3 of the gears ( side streets ) but only drove it for a few minutes.

just returned from a 10 mile ride. the issue I am having is not a constant thing. sometimes the tranny shifts fine thru the gears, shifting at around 2-2300 rpm and does so smoothly.
other times it will go into 1st gear hard, and not shift till 3000+ rpm and you can kinda feel some type of drag till about third gear, and when you stop at like a light it will stop abruptly once your going very slow,, and when you release the break, on level ground, the car acts as tho the breaks are holding it and the rpm's will not increase at all when you put it in neutral or park or even reverse for that matter. once I got home I parked in the street, put it in park and when I shut the car off it finally feels like its out of gear( it rolls into the parking pawl). still no codes are being displayed even at auto zone. ( I live almost right next door to one ).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still no codes and ive been driving this car everywere. how would the cv joints act if failing? would they kind of lock up? how does one check these?

im figuring since no codes are coming up that it may be something mechanical outside of computer control systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.