DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm in dire need of some help. I've had terrible mileage on my truck since I got it brand new in 2004. 98L tank and I get 400KM of city driving, so for sometime I have been looking to do some mods, dual exhaust, cold air intake and performance chip to improve the mileage.
A month ago I had a stainless steel dual exhaust added as my first step for $1200 for a repectable aftermarket company. A week after the install the engine light came on and I brought it back. They put a new CAT on and a week later the CEL came back on.... they put a different style CAT on...a week later the CEL came back on, 2 days later and some sensors were replaced (ERG I think)....then 3 days later again CEL on and they replaced the Oxygen sensors with the Dodge recommended solution. And yes, 1 month to the day, guess what, the CEL is back on and it is going back to the installer on Monday.
He has installed dual exhaust on hundreds of trucks over the past 5 years and has never had seen this....just my luck, I love that truck... it is mint...he wants to fix this as he understands that my walking away with this problem unresolved is not good for his livelihood....guess that is one less thing I have to worry about.
I've been searching the internet all day and found people that had to replace the CAT a few times, the sensors, broken wires...but nobody has had this much trouble.
I'm almost at the point of saying that this mod is not compatible with my truck and demand that he remove it and put things back the way they were...but that just seems way too rare/extreme.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this?
Also, how does this affect my warrantly, as I am also thinking that I bring it to the dealership and let them fix the problem (charging it back to my installer)?

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
The problem is the hi-flow cats your using. THere's a couple of different ways you could fix it. One is, have him install a spark plug non fouler on the rear O2 sensors. All this does is relocate your rear O2's out of the exhaust flow and "should" keep the ECM from triggereing a CEL. Another option would be to have the factory cats put back on. Personally I'd try the non-foulers first, and then go from there. In the installers defense, even though I don't know who your using, he has done nothing wrong with the install. It's just that the ECM's on these trucks are very very sensitive to any change, it's just my opinion, but I wouldn't have any hard feelings at all towards the installer, it sounds like he's trying to do a good job.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
What is the code that you are throwing? It is more than likely just for your rear 02 sensors, and some non-foulers will take care of that easily.

Also, what kind of exhaust setup is it? Headers? What kind of cats?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2004 Ram 1500 Hemi, it must be 2 CATs because I had the option of installing the dual exhaust "partially", which was cheaper, or straight from the engine for about $450 more and I choose the full install.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
jjames15ca said:
2004 Ram 1500 Hemi, it must be 2 CATs because I had the option of installing the dual exhaust "partially", which was cheaper, or straight from the engine for about $450 more and I choose the full install.
Thats the problem. The high flow cats he installed are too free flowing and are tripping your rear 02 sensors. Try the non-fouler trick, and that should fix your problem. They are cheap as well, so it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure of the exact code, but it said O2 sensors were bad. I'll have to get back to you on the other question...the installer is not open on the weekend....appreciate the help so far, I am going to print all of these notes off later and give them to him on Monday.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
you have to do the Fowler MOD ..... like the other's said the cats are free flowing and the O2 sensors are reporting to the computer wrong .... replacing the O2 sensors was a waist of money ....... having high flow cats will probaly impact your emissions

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
Yeah, just have him put the non-foulers on the two rear O2's. Don't mess with the front sensors, as the ECM actually uses the reading from those to monitor the A/F ratio. All the rear sensors do is to make sure the cats are "cleaning" the exhaust enough. With the hi-flow cats it thinks that your cats are not doing there job. THe non-foulers will move the sensors out of the exhaust flow enough to get a cleaner reading to avoid any CEL's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 full tanks and no CEL... HURRAH !!!

I owe a great thank you to everyone in this post... thank you thank you thank you...JJ15

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.