DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster wondering what I might have done wrong with my repair. A couple weeks ago I pulled the core out and have been fighting with this ever since. BOTH times I got back into the dash after that, I have evidence of a small leak as there is a puddle directly underneath where the tubes meet the heater core. The last time I dealt with it, I noticed I could tighten the bolt down a half turn or so. It must be backing away from the plate because of vibrations or something. So knowing that I did my last repair by:

Paying the 15 bucks to Dodge to get 2 new o-rings to put on the tubes
Put medium thread locker on the bolt that holds the plate against the core.
Ran a very small bead of red RTV around the tubes before setting them in the core.
Getting two hands on my torx screwdriver to tighten the bolt down.

Unfortunately, my drive to work today is producing the same results. After 10 minutes of running I get whiffs of coolant, or when I turn it off then back on, or when I'm mid commute and just turn the defrost off altogether then turn it back on after a few. It's never enough to fog the windshield just enough to get annoying coolant smells in the cabin. So, anyone have bit of advice for a beat down necessity mechanic? Has anyone ever had to put a nut on the other side of the bolt? I'm not even sure if I can get a socket back there to tighten the nut cause things are pretty tight? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Are you certain that the leak is at the o-ring? Why did you replace the core to begin with? Was it leaking? You could very well have a pinhole in the tube itself. Or the new core. Or any other number of places you would not expect. Try to get your cellphone camera up in there while running to look for wet spots.
Another possibility could be that you rolled an o-ring while installing. If an o-ring is pinched or rolled, no amount of torquing/tightening will stop the leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops on the wrong forum, maybe a mod could move it for me if needed?

I do know it is leaking from the o-ring, but that may not be the only place. The first time I put it back together, I opened it back up and saw puddled coolant on top of the entire plastic 'hold down' ring that sits on top of the core. The top of it is shaped plastic and is able to hold liquid. The second time I put it back together(treating with RTV and old o-rings), coolant was still sitting on it but only a quarter of the ring was holding coolant. There was also coolant puddled at the bottom of core in the HVAC box but I am assuming it is coming from the leak up above. Thanks for the phone idea I can try that just to see if there is a puddle again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts