DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
John K
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble disconnecting tail light wire connector from connection plate (the bulb seat in). My 2003 Ram I've removed the little red retained piece out of the wire connector (rear tail light assembly). But the connector won't budge with anything I've tried (e.g. wiggling back and rorth repeatedly, looking for additional detent tab some videos say to press...). I need to replace this connection plate, because there was water inside and bulb connections seem corroded resulting in “lamp out” warning for the backup light. Changing out bulbs, dabbing on dialect electrical grease, doesn't make my 1 driver side bulb light up. Thanks. John

·
John K
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm still holding onto hope someone who see this as first-hand experience with this. It's the strangest vehicle light wiring connection release I've experienced. Why do Engineers need to complicate the simple.
Thanks in advance to the one who can help.

·
John K
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear tail light connect still not disconnecting from light circuit board / bulb holde

I'm still puzzled by what seems like it should be simple issue to solve, but isn't. I'm finding the rear taillight (driver side) connection will not disconnect from the bulb circuit board / holder. Got the red "keeper" slide out of the way no problem. But the connector refuses to disconnect. I don't see any "tab to depress" as 1 thread several years ago mention. If I apply any more outward pressure to disconnect, it looks like it'll break.
I'm wondering why Designer made this so complicated..

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,323 Posts
either dirt/water (Can create a glue-like substance) or the metal leads on circuit board got hot and semi-melted together, (Cold solder joint in my world) Working it back and forth as well as push it back on, further can help break the contacts apart.

·
John K
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ylw01vert & dizzyD, I'll give it another try. It's the darnedest thing on how it's bonded together apparently. I can see that when I wiggle and pull with all I dare, I see the base of the gray circuit board start to show stress. May shoot something into connector to try to loosen, then if/when get it apart, clean it off with electrical cleaner. I appreciate your insight and encouragement. Will let you know how it turns out. Thank you!

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
I had this issue with aftermarket lights. If you look in at an angle there is a small catch that you wonder why they put it in there. It's on most of the plugs that have the red tab.

Once you slide over or completely remove the red tab look in at an angle from the truck side of the plug on the "top". Its hard to see, small and you can't really get at it well. I use a "all" tool that has a 90* bend at the tip for getting in there.

Heres the tool I use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.