DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (Hemi) during a recent snow I started my truck to warm it up and not realizing it until my wipers popped out from the ice and snow had left the wiper switch on. Now when I turn off the wipers they stop mid point on the windshield. I tried to reset the wiper arms on the posts in hopes it would solve the problem, not so without slapping the hood or riding off the sides of the sides of the windshield. The wiper motor works fine through all cycles is there any adjustment that can be made to get the arms back in there horizontal stop position?

Thanks
John

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
I would remove both arms and then cycle through all settings. Then turn the truck off.. and then back on.. without turning the wipers on.. then turn the truck off.

at that point.. the motor should be set to the out of sight down off position. Put the arms back on. Test and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info 06QuadRam ran thru it a couple of times did not solve my problem. Wiper swipes over top of my hood and still stops at mid windsheild? Any other suggestions besides a trip to my local dealer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly, ice and snow my stupidity for leaving the wiper switch on. Heck of it is the motor the motor operates just fine just that wipers are off 45 degrees from where they should be. I have not pulled off the plastic cowl under the hood to see if there is any visual damage to the motor or linkage. I am hoping to here that I might be able to make an adjustment before I start tearing things apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I’ve pulled off the plastic cowl from under the hood. I have access to all the guts to the wiper assembly. If I could figure out the original alignment of the wiper linkage crank arm that’s bolted to the wiper motor shaft and the relationship of the key way slot in the wiper posts I might be ok to go. I’ve not been to successful moving it to the right location. Is there anybody out there that might have done this before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did figure it out after a few hours cussing and a broken wiper arm. You have to remove the plastic cowl under the hood. Remove the nut that holds the wiper linkage crank arm to the wiper motor shaft. (Disconnect the power at the wiper motor or you might catch a finger like I did, will cycle without the wipers switch being on). Once removed connect the power again let the motor run through all cycles, turn off. Note the flats on the threaded motor shat align the wiper linkage crank arm parallel with the flats. Place the nut on the shaft and tighten it. You might want to remove the wiper arms before you turn the wiper switch on. Cycle through watch the key way slot in your wiper posts make sure they don’t sweep down to far towards the engine compartment. If all looks well replace the wiper arms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
John4915 I can't thank you enough for your help solving this problem! You are the MAN! I was about to put a new wiper motor in the truck... I had this problem looked at by 2 stealerships in the past few months. One told me that the motor was bad and wanted $150 plus $200 labor to install. The other told me it was a wiper "control module" and wanted $300 to fix. I knew there was something fishy when I called parts at the 2nd dealer and they had record of a "control module"... Got to love the dealerships.. Thank you again John4915!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.