DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday bought a 03 Grand Caravan Sport with 25000 mi. Tonite was on my way home turned on the headlights and got absolutely no dash lights, I'm talking no radio, heater controls or gauges at all. When you turn the dimmer the Radio display and odometer-gear position react up or down and the dome light will go on at the top but nothing otherwise. I checked the fuses but didn't see anything that said insturment or dash lights. Anyone have any ideas? :help:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't exactly know the solution to your problem, but thought I'd make a suggestion or two.
My first, would be to pull out the fuses (one at a time) which relate to all vehicle lighting (dash, headlights, signals, flashers, etc..) and then put them back in. The process of removing and replacing them has been known to 'fix' peculiar electrical behavior; a reset so-to-speak. Most of these circuits are tied to the BCM and perhaps it magically rests itself.
Your instrument cluster may be experiencing a short circuit, which could shut down that circuit, to protect the BCM. I'll assume you've adjusted the dimmer all the way up and down past its detents to ensure its not just the switch. You indicated the stereo lcd was reacting to the dimmer.
Lastly, be sure to check all of your exterior lamps for a burnt out bulb. I don't have my manuals handy but some vehicles dim the instrument panel to alert the driver of a defective exterior bulb. I don't believe this is the case, but worth checking.
Let us know what the solution is, if/when you find it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it into the Dealership today and they found a fault in the BCM. They erased the code disconnected the battery and the lights started working again. They also reflashed the BCM due to an update from Dodge but they didn't say what the update was for.

·
Registered
629 Posts
dash

For future reference sometimes pulling the IOD fuse in the power dist. center under the hood will fix this type problem , it in effect I believe does the same thing as the dealer as will reset the bcm by cutting power to it .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pulling a fuse is a lot easier than disconnecting the battery!

Chas

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Zuul24 said:
Pulling a fuse is a lot easier than disconnecting the battery!

Chas
You may not pull the right fuse, negative battery cable is a no-brainer for people who aren't technicians.

·
Registered
9 Posts
six pack said:
You may not pull the right fuse, negative battery cable is a no-brainer for people who aren't technicians.
This is true. But in that case, they should not be fooling around under the hood in the first place. Especially with the newer vehicles.

Chas

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 Grand Caravan eL with No Dash Lights

I had exactly the same issue as walbern1, but thanks to this forum I was able to correct the problem without a trip to the dealer. By disconnecting the black cable from the battery, waiting 10 minutes, and then reconnecting the cable, the dashboard lights once again glowed when the headlight switch was ON. Yes! The whole problem started after having a fuel pump and oxygen sensor replaced at the dealer's service center. I wonder if the repair led to the lighting fault or was it just a coincidence. Nevertheless thanks again to those here who offered helpful advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info

I own a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan that i bought yesterday.
I had the same problem with the dash light; i did what you said and it worked.
Thanks alot.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
dodge2002 said:
Remove the black conector to your battery for 5 minutes and put it back and it should work.
Thanks for replying Dodgy, but this was already mentioned as something to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.