DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2003 Durango with 110,000 miles on it. Literally a little old man had it, pristine. Yesterday it chugged to the point of nearly stalling as i tried to leave work on a fairly steep incline after a fresh start at idle speed. Tank was 1/2 full, gas could have been sketch, who knows. Once it accelerated it ran fine. Took it out and ran the P out of it thinking the "little old man" drove it in the city and never got it above 45 in the past 15 years. This am ran fine. This wasn't a slight shutter this was a chug to a stall if i hadn't stepped on it. Any ideas?

·
older trucks ARE better!
1,472 Posts
5.9? If so check distributor cap and rotor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might pull the plugs to have a look .
I did think about replacing the COIL PAC and PLUGS, but I have a whole new development, it cut off on me at 70 mph. Dash lights didn't come on, I wasn't even completely sure it was stalled or just lost power since I was driving w the windows down radio up. Couldn't hear. Pulled to the side, put it in N and pressed the accelerator and it was cut off. Restarted with no issue and drove home the other 15 miles no issue. Now, when I describe this, people always look at me funny, but there is a thud in the back and it feels like the rear end sits down on it's self. The RPM's don't react. My 2013 Wrangler did this and via these threads I discovered it was notorious on the 13 for the CPS to go bad, changed it problem solved. So since that is a cheap fix and it's relatively easy to get to on these, I replaced that and this morning on the way to work, I got the thud and instant drop in speed but no stalling and picked right back up and no more issues. I do wonder about crap gas. So I keep topping the tank. My plan is to get it down to a quarter and drop some 44k into it. What do you think about the ICV? Should I try that next? Or do you have any other suggestions? I greatly appreciate your help. I don't have time to mess with this. . . LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did think about replacing the COIL PAC and PLUGS, but now I have a whole new development, it cut off on me at 70 mph. Dash lights didn't come on, I wasn't even completely sure it was stalled or just lost power since I was driving w the windows down radio up. Couldn't hear. Pulled to the side, put it in N and pressed the accelerator and it was cut off. Restarted with no issue and drove home the other 15 miles no issue. Now, when I describe this, people always look at me funny, but there is a thud in the back and it feels like the rear end sits down on it's self. The RPM's don't react. My 2013 Wrangler did this and via these threads I discovered it was notorious on the 13 for the CPS to go bad, changed it problem solved. So since that is a cheap fix and it's relatively easy to get to on these, I replaced that and this morning on the way to work, I got the thud and instant drop in speed but no stalling and picked right back up and no more issues. I do wonder about crap gas. So I keep topping the tank. My plan is to get it down to a quarter and drop some 44k into it. What do you think about the ICV? Should I try that next? Or do you have any other suggestions? I greatly appreciate your help. I don't have time to mess with this. . . LOL

·
older trucks ARE better!
1,472 Posts
What is "ICV"?

I have an 01 w/a 5.9, when we bought it we passed on lots of nice looking ones because of the 4.7
Now unfortunately I do have a 4.7 in my 12 ram 1500 only because they quit making the 318 (5.2) and 360(5.9) something they should have never been allowed to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts