DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... dodgetalk newbie here :rck: I would appreciate you insights...

We purchased a 2003 Grand Caravan in June 2006. It had 53K miles on it. Battery continues to drain. Replaced battery; it drained again; battery vendor diagnosed van as having a "parasitic drain" Took it to a dealer (not where van was purchased) who wound up replacing power module and master power control. Spent $1000 on parts and labor. Two days labor the van won't start because the battery won't hold a charge :mad: . Battery vendor replaces battery AGAIN, and all seemed well for a few weeks. OUt of the blue the van won't start; dealer rechecks system and assures no drain on system. For good measure dealer install one of their batteries, keeps van for four days, check for any drain on battery. Upon finding none they tell me to "keep my fingers crossed" :WHT: On my receipt, the dealer simply put that "if there is a drain it must be an intermittent one".

Should I really believe my troubles are over? Could it be that I bought not one but two bad batteries from the independent battery dealer? What kind of intermittent drain could there be that the dealer was not able to detect even after observing van for four days? At this point I am tired of going back and forth to the dealer, and am growing quickly disgusted with the van. Any insights? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
as much as I haste to recommend people spending money, I might suggest that you ask around in your area and find a good auto electric shop

I have in the past gone looking for parasitic drains by:
removing all fuses and fusible links
putting them back in one at a time with a meter on at the battery to detect current flow
once current flow is detected, one would then go through the circuit to determine if there is a device in the circuit that is live all the time; in the old days for example, a clock would be live all the time. Once could then measure the draw to see if it would be enough to drain the battery. Devices that draw current all the time would have a very low draw

one could still follow this procedure - however, it would be time consuming.; you might spend a day at it.

However, you might get lucky and find the culprit.

If you do not find anything,I would suggest an auto electric shop.

Ciome to think of it

My son drives a 94 dodge mini-van with a 3.0.

He has mention that the the little chime that sounds when you shut off the car with the headlights/parking lights is not wrking. As a result, the battery has gone flat more than once as a result of the lights being left on.

This is not happening to you is it? Some times it is easy to overlook the obvious

·
Registered
6 Posts
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Electrical problesm

hi everybody!

I also have a similar problem with my gran caravan. It all started with an oil change. however the minivan will turn off by itself. when I try to started again, the starter would not crank. let it sit for a few minutes and it will start again. and then again. the starter would not crank. took it to Pep boys and they did not find any error codes. because they say the van start for them every the time.. As soon I took it from pep boys it fail again. Already check battery, starter, and ran the OBD scanner with no errors codes. Any ideas? it is really frustrating.

Thanks

Gera

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.