DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2003 4.7l boat anchor and it needs some pep in its step. im wondering will the heads and intake from the 2008+ 4.7 fit on my 2003? from what ive read its the same block so it should fit but before i invest i want to be sure its compatible. and also where is a good place to get these? i also understand the 08+ 4.7ls have more dome top shaped pistons. my worry is that if the heads are cut out to accept these to create more compression it may cause my engine to have less compression than it does now with the flat tops. one more thing i want a programmer as well. im thinking SCT from hemifever. superchips would be ok too but with the sct it would still work after the engine work. i imagine if you changed much on the engine the superchips wouldnt work right. oh and before someone comes on and says HEMI!!!! ive already tried that and my wife said i cant have a new truck lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get the 08 intake manifold for sure airram.com has them and they sell the plates to get it going correctly,ull love love the performance of this intake and the superchips is real good thats what i have on mine and really love it,and for sure get those 4.56 gears,your truck will feel better than ever...

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
Don't think 08 heads will fit; different design I am told. They are also twin plug heads, and trying to figure that out on your truck would be sporty at best. You could get some high CR pistons from AIRRAM, as well as some HO cams. I highly recommend the cams. :)

·
Always Broke!
801 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Don't think 08 heads will fit; different design I am told. They are also twin plug heads, and trying to figure that out on your truck would be sporty at best. You could get some high CR pistons from AIRRAM, as well as some HO cams. I highly recommend the cams. :)
The 08 heads will fit..The 08+ engine physically has the same block. The 08+ has a piston design that is dedicated to the 08+ heads. The 08+ cams are different and have a ~.540" valve lift on both intake and exhaust sides. The timing set for 08+ is also different.

·
Benz Tech
281 Posts
The 08 heads will fit..The 08+ engine physically has the same block. The 08+ has a piston design that is dedicated to the 08+ heads. The 08+ cams are different and have a ~.540" valve lift on both intake and exhaust sides. The timing set for 08+ is also different.
Are the actual sprockets and chains different? If so will the earlier model cam sprockets bolt up to the later model cams?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
IMO going from 3.92 gears to 4.56 gears wont make a big difference. It made a big difference in my truck cause I had 3.55 gears from stock.
Headers, Cam's, and tuner are a good gain.
Here's what I am hoping to put on my truck next. It's even close to where I live.
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?A...m_campaign=Post+To+Facebook&fb_source=message
Makes a HUGE difference, IMO.....I drove my Ram for a while with 3.55s and shorter tires that made it a ~3.80 effective ratio compared to stock with 3.55s. I then put 4.56s in the truck with the same shorter tires that gave it a ~4.80 effective ratio compared to stock, then moved back to taller 32" tires. Its a BEAST with 4.56s.

I wish I had run the APS and 4.56s with the HO cammed 4.7 in the truck. It would have certainly run well into the 9s in the 1/8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBw0qcZpVvI

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Makes a HUGE difference, IMO.....I drove my Ram for a while with 3.55s and shorter tires that made it a ~3.80 effective ratio compared to stock with 3.55s. I then put 4.56s in the truck with the same shorter tires that gave it a ~4.80 effective ratio compared to stock, then moved back to taller 32" tires. Its a BEAST with 4.56s.

I wish I had run the APS and 4.56s with the HO cammed 4.7 in the truck. It would have certainly run well into the 9s in the 1/8.
X2

·
Registered
34 Posts
GEARS is a must...i had 3.55 on mine when i put the gears it was great...my truck came alive...

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
Thanks for the correct info...

Hmm. Were things noticeably better with the shorter tires?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.